Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2001 21:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Mageean Could anyone send me in the direction of user friendly noise measuring equipment. I require simple noise measurements to identify various action levels. I have had a wide range of prices from various companies. I would welcome suggestions from anyone using such equipment. Thanks, Barry Mageean.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2001 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PHSC Castle GA 202 or similar is the easiest to use. Borrow or hire first (many suppliers should allow this) and see what you are comfortable with.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2001 09:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor It really depends upon the nature of the assessments you need to make as to the type and cost of the equipment needed. This ranges from long term monitoring of sound over large ranges of level and temperature using different scales, etc and programmes with facilities for computer connection and data-logging - down to simple hold in the hand instruments that let you know the sound level at the time in conventional workplaces and not much else. If it's the simpler and cheaper end that you are going for, try ATP on 01530 416876 (www,atp-instrumentation.co.uk).
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2001 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Howden Depends on how cheap and cheerful you want to go. My £25.00 noise meter from Tandy has looked suitably 'scientific' and has provided basic figures permitting decisions on what to do next. Regards Bob Howden PS Also in my cheap & cheerful box - 1 light meter (£3.99), 1 electronic humidity meter (£9.95) and 1 stopwatch (£1.99) !
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2001 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Bob, I like your style. We need a lot more practical thinkers in this business. Good luck Ciaran
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2001 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I bought one from a company called York for first line surveys. Cost £70 and calibration is about £50 a year(needed to to make sure of accuracy, to add credibility to survey reports and if EHO/HSE involved). Excellent value, worth its weight in gold. Cheapo light meter and 'an anemometer' (pronounce that on a Saturday night) from same source 9both calibrated). Email if you want further details. Geoff
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 March 2001 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt How do I get my name to light up in blue for emails?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 March 2001 13:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Ok - got it!