Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2001 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Carolyn Dark Could anyone tell me if there is a reason, why a photocopier cannot be placed under some stairs, the stairs do provide an emergency exit from floors above only (they do not continue to lower floors), but they are not part of a protected route. Can anyone help or have any advice
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2001 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Carolyn I am reluctant to allow anything under stairs, especially something that operates at high temperature and contains ignitable quantities of paper! Even if there is nothing the stairwell to support combustion, it will act as a chimney, channelling heat and smoke upwards. We will no doubt see some comment from professional fire fighters, but I suggest you put the point to your local fire prevention officer. I will be surprised if he/she is anything other than absolutely aghast! Laurie
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2001 12:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Carolyn, I go along with Laurie. Other problems you will encounter will be the storage of boxes of paper, the amount of waste paper that collects around copiers, as well as the number of people who also gather around to use the machine. All these would lead to the possible blocking of the staircase.Whilst fire safety is one aspect, so is manual handling - carrying boxes of paper up and down stairs. Slips, trips and falls caused by litter and possibly by the increase in pedestrian traffic is another issue. You may also encounter a problem with the storage of ink/toner cartridges and before long under the stairs becomes a storeroom and an office! Avoid it like the plague! Regards, Frank Cooper
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2001 13:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Carolyn Dark How about if the photocopier was boxed in, i.e. a metal casing was built around it with an automatic door and there was no paper stored in the area, except that which was in the photocopier.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2001 18:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By david Westhead Would the container be air-tight so that any smoke or vapours would be contained? If so would you copier still work in a none ventilated area. Also in the future could you really be sure that no one would store paper there. I personally think you would be better looking for a more suitable area to put the copier. Sorry to be so negative but I think the local fire officer would be a lot more negative to the idea. Dave.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 March 2001 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor On the idea of boxing in photocopiers: the operators will need adequate ventilation as well as the machines. There are by-products from photocopying (including Ozone and toner) which necessitate good ventilation and which may, in smaller areas, require air extraction (and provision for make-up air). As to the suggested understairs location: it is unusual for a stairway serving a final exit required for emergency evacuation not to form part of a protected route. Whilst not having seen the situation, I would be most surprised if the suggestion was acceptable to the fire authority unless there is sufficient room to form a safe workplace conforming with the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations and Building Regulations by constructing a fire-resisting compartment with a fire-resisting self-closing door and adequate ventilation.