Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2001 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas of the potential risks associated with palm held computers. Our company is looking into their use and I would like to be ready to answer any H&S query's. Thanks in anticipation.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2001 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd I'm currently working with a company looking at the use of hand held equipment in the field, and which (in size) comes somewhere between a palm held and a laptop. Their problems are possibly very different to your considerations, but without more info on the expected function and use of your PDAs it is difficult to give advice. There will, no doubt, be the ususal speed of access and image visibilty issues (particularly under different lighting conditions) - be sure the software is specific to your purpose and that the user doesn't unnecessarily have to 'make-do'. Is there a need to enter text? If so, one of the plug in keyboards will be essential. Will it be sufficiently robust for the intended application? Is there a need for extended use? In which case there may be static postural issues for the supporting hand? There may also be musculoskeletal/repetitive risks for the data inputting hand/finger. As an aside, there are now becoming available a range of what are termed 'wearable computers' and, if your application is suitable, you may wish to consider these. Please contact me if you wish to talk over these issues - John.Ridd@btinternet.com
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 March 2001 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Wilkes This may be of help. I have seen reported problems with hand held data input devices (the type they read your meter with). Some of them come as a lolly pop type construction which are quite heavy and encourage static posture. I have been told that it is better to include them into some sort of board which rests on the fore-arm. Regards Barry
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 March 2001 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard I've used a Psion Series 3, 3a and 3mx for about 7 years with no problems Richard