Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2001 21:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1994 require an employer of, or self employed, persons who work on gas fittings in domestic and commercial premises to be members of a body approved by the HSE. The Council for registered gas installers (Corgi) was approved for this purpose in 1991, I also believe another such body is also approved, but the name escapes me presently. Under the scheme, individual gas fitting operatives are required to have their competence assesed and possess a certificate issued by the accredited certification body, which consumers can ask to see. Gas installation businesses are required to demonstrate to the registration body that these certificates are held by all employees engaged in gas work. My question is..... does the legislation, when refering to certificates, mean ACoPS associated with gas 1 to 13 for arguments sake, or does it mean a corgi registration certificate for that individual. In essence, can a gas fitter(s) who have the relevant ACOPS associated with gas, but is not actually registered with Corgi or another accredited body, yet, because the registration is in the post, yes the application is in the post, in any case neither the employer or employee is in possession of a registration card for the individual(s), install gas appliances, within the context of legislation. A bit long winded, but I got their in the end, I require a definitive and absolute answer before Monday.......Thanks Martin
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2001 00:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle As far as I understand it, in such cases the employer must be a corgi registered, and his staff trained and certificated to the relevant ACoP. I am not quite sure how this applies to self employed persons, but I would guess that it would be the same as for employers... Please don't take this a gospel... as I do not have access to the info at present and am just guessing here. You might get some assistance from taking with colleagues in this field... say a gas board superintendant or similar... best regards...