Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2001 08:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young I have read the previous threads and the IOSH technical infosheet on "homeworking" and I am now preparing to write our company policy. The H&S aspects are straight forward for the office based type of work expected and all necessary training & equipment will be supplied and maintained. However, does anyone know of cost implications other than increased rates, home insurance that may be expected at the outset by the homeworker?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2001 19:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dawn Ingham What about: telephone calls/internet charges from homeworker to office using their own line? Assuming you don't put in a business line at their home at your own expense?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2001 12:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Ron, You may wish to consider the additional costs your homeworker will have in respect to heating, lighting and power. I know of at least one company that gives the employee an allowance for these. It all depends where the home office is going to be i.e. If it is in a garage or utility room without heating there will be an increased cost to the individual(s) concerned. If you are going to ask the homeworker for a certificate to prove the safety of their electrical installation (carried out by a competent electrician) prior to using DSE equipment then again there is a cost here. I hope this helps. Frank Cooper
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2001 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marj Rees Hi Ron. We are looking at homeworking as well at the moment and it would appear that insurance companies do not in the main load a policy if the work is "administrative" in nature. Regards