Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2001 03:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Agnes Chow
I have prepared an audit tool which is in the form of a checklist. Can anyone tell me if this approach is on the right direction or some other forms of auditing tool will be more effective?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2001 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede
Checklists are always a good place to start as they ensure that you cover all the topics of interest and introduce a degree of consistency in your approach. They can then be supplemented by scoring systems to indicate how good your organisations performance is and by repeating the exercise you can measure improvement (or lack of it) against an agreed target.

What alternative approaches did you have in mind?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2001 14:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram
You need to be careful in the use of checklists. The essence of a SYSTEM for OHS management is that there is a continuous improvement cycle, so in most cases it is unlikely that there is just one 'right answer' re what to do to manage a particular hazard - with experience those responsible should be able to identify additional controls to reduce risk, or ways to keep the risk the same, but be more cost-effective. Therefore a list is good as a reminder of what areas to examine, but bad if it tries to give 'right answers'.

The essence of a true audit is that the auditor 'collects evidence' about the state of the risk controls, and 'forms an opinion' based on that evidence - this process requires much more than just "ticking a box", which is what some audit checklists can become. If you avoid that trap, your lists may be OK.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2001 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Agnes,

checklists are fine in defined situations and help inexperienced auditors.

When auditing myself, I prefer a free-flowing situation where I can follow up any interesting threads as they arise. Hands-free, no notes taken during the audit.

An audit check list for one work area my have a lot of redundant items for any other area. They need to be personalised and updated frequently.

This said, if you have a static situation and wish to compare "scores" over a time period, then a check list system is useful

Merv Newman