Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2001 19:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE HI CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS,I M LOOKING FOR SIMPLE INFO ON THIS SUBJECT. 1= HOW MANY MILLISIVERTS ARE THERE IN A SIEVERT? 2=HOW MANY M/SIEVERTS DO WE ABSORB A YEAR FROM RADON 3=HOW MANY M/SIEVERTS IN A BEQUEREL 4=TO WHAT DOSE LEVEL DO YOUR WORKERS HAVE TO BE IN TO WARRANT A RADIATION PASS BOOK DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF A WEB-SITE THAT CAN GIVE ME A UNDERSTANDING OF IONISING RADIATION IN SIMPLE TERMS AND DEFINITIONS STEVE
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2001 21:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Steve I can't answer all parts of your question, I'm afraid but what I can say is that: there are 1000 millisieverts in a sievert; the annual dose from radon will vary from one part of the country to another and I don't know what the 'average' might be; since a becquerel is a unit of activity ( in disintegrations per second) and a millisievert is a unit of dose, I do not think that they can be equated. I hope that you receive responses to the rest of your question soon. REGARDS Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2001 07:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Steve The previous respondent was quite right, there is no easy way of equating Becquerel with Sievert, because the different types of radiation (alpha, beta, gamma, X-ray and neutron are the commonest) have different abilities to do damage. You also have to take into account the distance from the source, since radiation falls away as the inverse square of the distance. As for pass books, these are used principally by 'classified workers', when they are working in the 'controlled area' of another employer. These workers would normally wear a radiation badge (but not all those wearing a badge are 'classified workers'). The terms in inverted commas have a particular meaning in law, and they are defined in the Ionising Radiations Regulations 1999. The Guidance document is 'Working with Ionising Radiation' L 121 ISBN 0 7176 1746 7. If you have classified workers you should have a Radiation Protection Supervisor, who should be able to tell you more about the radiation work at your premises. The National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB) has a good website, and they also have some very good public information leaflets on radiation of all types. Their web address is nrpb.org.uk. Regards Jane