Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2001 04:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Taileuk In BS 8800, for bothe HS(G)65 approach and BS EN ISO 14001 approaches, there mentioned an intial status review for an initial review of the organization's existing arrangements for managing OH&S. Does anyone has practical experience in conducting the ISR? I wonder if anyone has got any questionnaire / checklist guiding the proceeding of ISR? Please advise.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2001 07:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Taileuk When I did this for an organisation, I audited them against the law. That is, I took the major pieces of legislation in turn, such as HSWA 1974, Management regs, COSHH, PUWER, Electricity at work, etc, and looked at their written arrangements, to see whether it addressed the requirements (inasmuch as they were relevant to the organisation and its operations). Then I looked at working practices to see whether they were in accordance with (a) the written system or (b) the law. That way I built up a picture of the major weaknesses in the company policy and was able to have answers to the questions Does the organisation have a system? Is the system adequate? Is it being followed? I did not use any checksheets, simply copies of the regulations and the company policy and arrangements. Regards Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2001 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Douglas Dear Taileuk I designed an Initial Status Review as like you, I found that it is mentioned quite a lot but does not seam to exist in a ready format for employers to use. I designed an ISR based on the prompts list of the twenty one elements of a safety culture, devised by the Health and Safety Commissions (HSC) Human Factors Study Group in their third report, organising for safety. These were used as the sections of the review as below. I also developed under each section a set of questions relevant to my organisation and a simple scoring system. A. Health and Safety Policy B. Management Commitment to Health and Safety C. Health and Safety Assistance D. Incidents and Accidents E. Compliance with Statutory Requirements F. Communications G. Attitudes of Individuals H. Health and Safety Training I. Health and Safety Consultation J. Resource Allocation (Human and Financial) K. Health and Safety Standards L. Monitoring and Review of Progress M. Purchasing Aspects of Health and Safety N. Motivation for Health and Safety O. Risk Assessment and Management P. Perception of Risk Q. Perceptions to existing systems and procedures R. Existing Safety Culture S. Control of Contractors and Visiting Companies However for the ISR to be effective, you really need to measure the softer, woollier areas of health and safety, i.e. perception, motivation and culture. Which are difficult to measure face to face with employees, managers or by reviewing documentation. In order to measure these, I utilised the HSE Climate Survey, which I found to be very a very useful tool that at least assisted in measuring the areas mentioned above. It is not ideal, however, it does have the HSE tag, which sometimes helps people fill in the questionnaire. In many ways the information gained through using the Climate Survey was far more useful in developing a management system for health and safety. Most safety professionals will already no the gaps in the organisation that reviews will pick up on. However to put systems in place that are going to work, requires you to know what people think, and asking peoples views on health and safety via a climate survey, tells you what they think and allows you to develop more effective policies and procedures. I designed the ISR using the SHE for Windows Audit Module, I also have copies in pdf format, if you would like a on please e-mail me. Phil Douglas
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2001 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Phil, could you let me have a copy of your ISR in pdf - I am very interested and want to get started on BS8800/18000 thanks. Merv Newman insafety@fc-net.fr
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2001 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair Phil, Could I possibly have a copy of the ISR? Thank you David
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2001 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Just a thought, rather than try to develop and then possibly miss some of the less obvious but just as important issues,you may consider auditing, this will provide you with a status and a benchmark from which you can propose an action plan. Not wishing to advertise their system, but having used it very successfully for some time, RoSPA QSA is excellent its design is specific to safety management systems and based on BS8800 and HSG(65). Call Colin Payne at ROSPA I'm sure he would be pleased to advise.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 19 May 2001 18:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By chandrashekhar Phil, could you mail me a copy of your ISR in pdf - I am interested in BS8800/18000. thanks in advance Chandra deshnur@emirates.net.ae
Admin  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2001 22:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Edward Phil, like the rest I am interested in this as well. I am also interested if any one out there has a questionaire that could be used for a Best Value Service Review as well. Any takers. RFEdward@aol.com
Admin  
#9 Posted : 21 May 2001 20:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Doyle Dear Taileuk, When I brought in the standard, I started with the Self Assessment questionnaire on page 83 of the BSI publication Managing Safety the BS 8800 Way. This self assessment was copied to all Directors and Managers and safety representatives. It gave a really good start point and identified areas that needed action first. But do check out what they are saying is correct. Good luck Jim D.