Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 May 2001 08:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By gavin leatherbarrow After recently undergoing a PAT Testing course the instructor 'suggested' that computers should not be tested. The reasons given were that 1) a PC is deemed extremely low risk with regards to recieving an electrical shock and2) the PC could become damaged by the electrical test. So what do I do? I work in a college with over 200 computer workstations. I know management would prefer me to cut costs (time and effort) by not testing the PC's. But as a safety practicioner I feel some sort of test must be done. Any thoughts, advice or suggestions would be most helpful.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2001 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Gavin Have you got the HSE leaflet INDG 160L? Just read through it to confirm that what I advocate at my place of work is correct!! All computers are double insulated (sweeping statement??) and as such only require a formal visual inspection every 2-4 years, unless they are subject to some abuse (highly likely in FE)in which case make it sooner. No testing required if double insulated. My understanding of electrical PAT testers is that they introduce a high DC voltage which may damage sensitive components in PCs. Hope this helps
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2001 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Also try INDG236 which gives the same information. The guidance is very much relaxed from the early 90s as a result of experience in the field. Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2001 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I'm also in FE, with 1,000+ computers. Agreed they are low risk, but just a note of caution - two years ago someone bypassed the IT section and bought some VDUs from their own, departmental, budget. All of the mains leads (moulded plugs) were wired incorrectly. This was only found by some of our electrical students doing some practical work! That is why I try to ensure that everything is tested, double insulated or not. The best sytem in the world is only as good as the people abusing it! Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2001 17:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi The HSE guidance,IND(G)236 states that Cables (leads) and plugs connected to equipment such as desktop computers and VDU screens should have a combined inspection and test between 1-5 years, qualifying it with "depending upon the type of equipment it is connected with". So one has to conduct combined test and inspection of the cables and the plugs, but not necessarily the "complete" computer and VDU unit. Ultimately, it can also depend upon the type of test equipment used--i.e. is it a simple pass/fail reading from a tester (which may introduce unwanted current/voltage to the entire circuit) or using sophisticated test equipment by personnel competent in PC & VDU circuits
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 May 2001 17:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin J Morley I think that you need to go back to the beginning and do a Risk Assessment for your workplace. All guidance must be generalised, and may relate to different environments. My experience suggests that colleges are quite difficult environments, prone to many odd problems. Even in the most tightly controlled areas, peculiar things happen. This would suggest the need for a more regular inspection than outlined in HSE guidance. We bought a batch of new computers where the monitors had quite large holes in their casing - just where you might hold them for lifting or making major adjustments. Unfortunately one of the printed circuit boards was just inside! These holes were not on the original model, but were a 'modification'. Today I examined a brand new 'inspection light' where neither the cable grip nor the Neutral terminal were tight! I would suggest that all new equipment should be tested before being used, particularly where it is used by students, further examination and testing then following a locally determined pattern. (My copy of the Institution of Electrical Engineers "CoP for in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment" suggests an initial frequency of 12 months for IT equipment used by the public.) Looking at this in terms of Risk Management, the potential problems are significant, the cost of regular and recorded testing is not. martin j morley
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 May 2001 23:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith A quick word of warning. I have heard of employees receiving electric shocks through the metal frames of desks. The 240volt power cables are prone to damage from desks and chairs, therefore I would recommend that these are inspected regularly, (especially if you have a high number of computers). I do automatically include this in any display screen assessment that I undertake.