Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2001 19:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By chandrashekhar how to impliment this colour coding, any reference material/standard would be of help to me. thanks in advance
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2001 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram In UK all such equipment has to be regularly inspected by a competent person. The colour coding (a small area of paint in a special colour) helps to ensure that no item is missed when such inspections are due. Thus, every piece of movable lifting equipment which should be inspected regularly is painted with the current colour, and when the inspection is due they are all collected and replaced by an item with the new colour. At the same time the new colour is displayed on suitable notice boards around the site, and included in the site induction training, toolbox talks, etc. Anyone who uses the equipment must check that it is the new colour, if not it means it is overdue an inspection, and must be returned to the lifting gear store immediately. You need to have three or four different colours that you use in rotation. You also need to have enough spare equipment, because trying to collect it all at once for inspection and repainting means that work is stopped, which normally you don't want. You also need one organisation responsible for all the lifting equipment on the site - it doesn't work well if there are many contractors each with their own equipment and colour-coding! You also need agreement on what the standard frequency is for 'thorough inspection by a competent person', if that is not defined in local legislation (this is in addition to the simple inspection that the user should make every time they use such equipment). I hope this outlines how to implement such a system. Obviously you need to have a procedure which gives all the details, and who is responsible for what on your particular site.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2001 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod Ian has pretty much covered the main points in his response. I work in the offshore oil & gas industry which involves a fair amount of lifting and rigging. As part of the ongoing training for all our Crane Operators, Banksmen, Riggers etc, we issued to each, an A6 handbook entitled "The International Rigging and Lifting Handbook". It is full of information on the correct and safe use of lifting equipment. At present this same booklet is issued to the HSE inspectors for reference purposes. It is produced by Technical Standards Services Ltd (info@techstandards.co.uk). I have no affiliation with this company what so ever other than recommending them for their excellent handbook which gives guidance on procedures aimed at reducing risk of injury during rigging and lifting operations. I hope this has been of some assistance to you. Regards Frank Macleod