Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2001 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Harvey I am currently carrying out some work for a national charity; it in the main involves risks assessment of lower risk operations, which take place in host premises. I would be interested to hear the forums views on professional indemnity insurance. Whilst my advice is as competent as I can make it the question of ‘what insurance cover do you have’ has been asked. Also how might the HSE or an LA enforcement office view my advice, should an accident occur? At the end of the day if I did not do this work it would not be done! Any pointers and opinions would be most welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2001 19:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Keeping Peter, You do not say what your qualifications are to provide this competent advice. Assuming that you are competent, which at the end of the day might be tested in court, and that you are being paid for this work, it would be my view that you should have both professional indemnity and public liability insurances. This, of course, is expensive and would be priced into your daily/hourly rate for such jobs. As it is a charity you may be helping them out without payment. If that were the case I believe the colour is a shade greyer. Is there is a lawyer within the forum who might have a view. Paul Keeping
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2001 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis Quinn Whilst there are a number of companies offering Professional Indemnity- the one I used was Bland Bankart in Leicester on 0116 254 6221. My contact was: Joanne.Greenwood@leic.blandbankart.co.uk
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2001 21:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lucas Peter, You are right to raise the issue. It is significant that there have been a number of well publicised recent prosecutions of consultants by the HSE. If the advice you give is wrong, amounts to negligence and there is a resultant breach of HASWA Sec 3, then beware, you maybe criminally liable for your actions. Irrespective of that, you will always bear some degree of civil liability for your actions. It's a tough world! Andy