Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2001 06:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Dee Do shop fronts with older plate glass windows all have to be changed to laminated or reinforced glass if they do not meet the thickness and size standards set out in the regs?I have had differing views from EHOs around the Country. Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2001 08:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I think the problem with this one is that, whereas new build has to follow Approved Document N to the Building Regulations, existing glazing is a matter for assessment under the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regs - which require safety material or protection against breakage 'where necessary for reasons of health and safety'. This is inevitably a matter of judgement by the employer, local EHOs and ultimately the Courts. I suspect that much shop-front glass meets the standards when thickness is compared with area but, where not, my own inclination is to 'err on the side of caution' where reasonably practicable.