Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2001 23:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Harvey As I under the Asbestos (Prohibitions) Regs 92, they prohibit the use of white (chrysotile) asbestos from 1999, the Regs say something like "It is illegal to import, supply or use raw asbestos or new products containing it, and to supply or use existing products for any new purpose. Products in use before the dates that the regulations came into force, can continue to be used, until such time that they need replacement". The MOD still use a chrysotile product which is coated in graphite grease and used as a packing in gas fittings. My understanding is that as this packing becomes unserviceable, it is now illegal to replace it with the same product. This product would not be covered under the CAW Regs, from my guidance notes. ********************************************************************************************* Your help please. Peter Harvey
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2001 13:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston This is the schedule to the regs that lists the products containing Chrysotile that are prohibited - Regulation 7(1) "PRODUCTS CONTAINING CHRYSOTILE WHICH ARE PROHIBITED "1. The supply or use of the products containing chrysotile described in the following paragraphs of this Schedule are prohibited. "2. Materials or preparations intended to be applied by spraying. "3. Paints or varnishes. "4. Filters for liquids, except that this prohibition shall not apply to filters for medical use until after 31st December 1994. "5. Road surfacing material where the fibre content is more than 2%. "6. Mortars, protective coatings, fillers, sealants, jointing compounds, mastics, glues and decorative products in powder form and decorative finishes. "7. Insulating or soundproofing materials which when used in their intended form have a density of less than 1g/kg3. "8. Air filters and filters used in the transport, distribution and utilisation of natural gas and town gas. "9. Underlays for plastic floor and wall coverings. "10. Textiles finished in the form intended to be supplied to the end user unless treated to avoid fibre release, except that this prohibition shall not apply to diaphragms for electrolysis processes until after 31st December 1998. "11. Roofing felt after 1st July 1993." I'd say that your product fell into category 6 The 1992 Prohibitions Regs have been amended twice in 1999, the first time to add a load of derogations to the 1992 chrysotile prohibitions - I don't think your application falls into these derogations, but I'm not entirely clear on this MOD application so check them yourself - you can access the 1999 amendments on the Stationary Office website http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/. The second set of amendments just deleted one of these derogations - on vehicle brake linings.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2001 10:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Peter's application sounds like the graphited asbestos rope gland packing commonly used throughout the process industries for valve stem and pump shaft seals. These are gradually being replaced by more "modern" materials and mechanical seal arrangements, but are still arguably the most common in use. Category 6 does not include this material (it applies to things like fire resistant putty, "Artex", decorators filler etc.), and I doubt if category 10 would either, so I guess it is still permissible. John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2001 19:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Harvey John, Many thanks for your reply and yes this is a graphite rope product. I have picked up in the last few days the fact that this is now being replaced throughout industry, although may still be permissible. However my real concern was that this comes made up in 5 strands pre-formed cut sections. Our use involves breaking this down to use three of the stands in one valve and two in another, therefore exposing the chrysotile. Peter Harvey
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 May 2001 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Sounds like a modification from the valve manufacturer's spec. Check with them. Normally I would expect to see the correct diameter and profile supplied, and the required length then cut off from a coil. John