Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 May 2001 16:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel At one of our office facilities we do not have sufficient on site parking and have spaces on a public car park to make ends meet. We have done a basic risk assessment and this has resulted in those using the external car park being mainly males, space devoted to company cars does not permit all females to park on site. That said do we owe any duty of care to our employees to and from their cars when they park off site ? we do not force them to park there, there have been no reports of abuse of any sort, the walk can be no way classed as being in a dangerous area, and there is no main road to cross. I am of the opinion we have been as reasonable as can be expected especially as we do not have to offer this parking, I am just after the views of other professionals prior to giving my response. Thanks in advance
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 May 2001 08:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You haven't said whether the employees are parking there in the course of their employment or just offered a free space if they wish to use it when arriving for work. However, even if the former applies and provided that there are no evidently unreasonable risks, you will be providing as much has the local authority has provided for public parking and persons walking about in public places and should not, therefore, be considered to have failed in your duty of care. That said, the question of personal security when at work is a serious one these days - particularly for vulnerable persons (including lone females) and it would seem advisable to discuss these issues with them to seek to arrive at agreed measures to reduce any associated risk (eg use of vetted taxis, leaving in groups, security guards, etc).
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2001 21:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rachelle Smith To add to last message I would just say that it is not just lone females at risk, males can be attacked just as easily. You ought to look to what you insurance policy covers employees for and as last person said put some controls in place, as a caring sharing employer.