Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2001 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Taileuk
I wonder if anyone has experience on how to take safety precaution to safeguard those workers who do lashing job on container top (usually as high as 7-8 tiers) before typhoon comes? How to provide safe means of access and egress? How to prevent them from fall? I believe it is not practicable to erect guard rail or the like, but what is then the solution? Has anyone heard of any relevant legislations or guidance for carrying out that operation?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2001 03:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart
Taileuk,

You do not say where you are based, but I am assuming Asia somewhere due to the reference to Typhoons.

Try the Labour Dpartment of the Hong Kong SAR Government.
Thy have a Code of Practice for Container Handling and Terminal working etc.
Also there is The Factories and Industrial Undertakings Ordinance (Cargo and Container Handling) Regulations 1995.

Refer to site www.info.gov.hk/labour

Also whilst not specifically dealing with weather conditions, OSHA, (The USA) have some information on Safe access and safe working/fall of person prevetion associated with Container storage and stacking etc.
Go to www.osha-slc.gov

In the UK try The Marine Accident Investigation Branch of the DETR.
You can e-mail them on: maib@detr.gsi.gov.uk
Ask them your question they will I am sure be able to put you in contact with someone who knows if they dont have the answers.

I also recently saw somewhere on the web reference to a Safety working body report about an International Shipping Safety Committee that deals specifically with Containers and Container Handling Safety & Environmental issues. Sorry I can't recall anything further about the location.

For further self help,Try searching the web using google or www.alltheweb.com or other search engines. You will be surprised what you will come up wih.

Also dependent upon where you are based and who you work for, contact colleagues with Safety & Environment roles in the shipping and the freight and container forwarding businesses that your company works with. There will surely be peoiple in these organiations who have knowledge.

Try also the Trades Union sites in UK and Australia, they often have good links to safety information sources.
You will get a list of Asia Pacific Safety Organisations and bodies on the Hong Kong Labour Dept site with direct internet links that will take you some of these sources.

Hope this helps.
The Hong Kong Observatory by the way is predicting 7 possible Typhoons in the coming season, lets hope none of them are severe.
Good luck.
Regards.
Ken Urquhart