Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2001 16:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Annetta Maslen I have concerns about our responsibility towards our leaseholders in flats with reference to annual gas safety checks. It is clear in our lease that the occupier is responsible for annual gas safety checks in their flats. My worry is that if these are not carried out then what would our liability be in the event of either CO leaking out into communal areas/neighbouring flats, or from an explosion resulting in either entrapment or damage/injury to neighbours. My view is that we should be proactive and remind occupiers of their responsibilities re gas safety checks, but also that we should give emergency advice for other leaseholders on the premises. Any views or experiences would be welcome!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2001 21:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I could think up several legal arguements as to why you would have a liability. Ensure you veiw the annual report and keep a copy safe for at least five years. If there was an accident there would be several parties out to get someone. Make sure it is not you.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2001 21:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Des Power As usual, this is only MY opinion and after all that is what you are requesting. You are treading on very dodgy ground here. You cannot delegate your respoibilities to your tenants, or I should say you are responsible for ensuring the correct gas safety appliance checks are carried out. Whatever way you do it it is the landlords responsibility to ensure - Gas fittings and flues are maintained in a safe condition. Ensure annual safety checks are carried out on each gas appliance/flu by a registerd CORGI gas installer. Keep record for at least two years. Issue copies of the safety checks to your tenants within 28 days. I can go on and on but I do not wish to sound patronising as I'm sure you know your own business and as I say this is only my opinion. Please read (and issue to your tenants) INDG285 C5000 1/99 - Landlords. A Guide to landlords duties: Gas safety (installation and use) Regulations 1998