Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2001 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Fox. In my capacity as Safety Representative in my company I have been asked to help formulate a No Smoking Policy. I have read various literature on the subject, guidance notes e.t.c and realise that it is not as straightforward as first imagined. Has anyone had experience of writing a policy and if so how are the sections supposed to be laid out. Is it like a Safety Policy, organisation, arrangements, e.t.c. or something much simpler? I would be grateful of any help on the matter. Thanks, Graham Fox.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2001 20:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Graham, I have seen many policies on this subject and they all seem to be simple, factual and to the point. You might like to search the Web for smoking policies, you will find several especially from Government Agencies and Universities. The following are two: http://www2.essex.ac.uk/oh/nosmokepol.htm http://www.addenbrookes.org.uk/trust/smoking1.html However my concern would be how you will introduce this policy, consultation being a key issue, which you must address. I know of one organisation that introduced a series of 'break the habit' initiatives such as counselling whilst giving smokers more breaks during the change over period. I would make the policy simple and then spend all my effort on the arrangements.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2001 21:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sheila Dover In my role as health and safety co-ordinator at a newspaper in Halifax,Nova Scotia , my first encounter with problems from employees in the workplace came up at our health and safety committee meeting - the committee decided that we should have designated smoking areas on each floor - but first we would have to do a survey to see how staff felt about this - when we got the results back - it was clear the majority wanted no smoking - we then sent a memo to management recommending that they should develop a smoking policy - this took about six months to come about - we had some problems with unions - however, the health implications for those staff who did not smoke were pretty clear, so it went ahead - the policy was very simple - No Smoking except in Designated smoking areas of the building
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2001 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Graham, Have a look at the following internet site www.ash.org.uk. You will find there is a booklet called "Smoking in the Workplace" (£5.00) which gives loads of information and you can order it online. It also contains details of smoking policies (remember it is a smoking policy you want to introduce - not a No Smoking policy!) Hope this helps, Frank Cooper
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2001 03:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Macpherson Graham Sound advice from many people there, I would also suggest that you make a concentrated effort to poll the smokers who are going to be affected by the policy for suggestions, many are reasonable people who willingly make adjustments to reduce the impact of their smoking on others and they will give you helpful input, this will ensure that a fair and amicable resolution to any problems that you are encountering! I speak as a smoking victim of rabid anti-smoking policies who wasnt given a chance to be constructive and pro-active!!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2001 20:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I simply added a one-page appendix to our health and safety policy and produced a short generic risk assessment on secondary smoking. Our line is basically - smoking only permitted in designated smoking areas which other employees do not have to visit in the course of their work and with adequate ventilation, fire precautions, etc. The one exception being residents own rooms in our care establishments.