Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2001 07:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By I am currently interested in how health and safety legislation applies in Northern Ireland. I have noticed that, for example, the Employer’s Liability Compulsory Insurance Act does not apply. Is there an equivalent Act in Northern Ireland legislation or an Order applying the Employer’s Liability Insurance Act to Northern Ireland? I am aware that the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 is applied in Northern Ireland by the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 (Application Outside Great Britain) Order 1995 but does this mean that the Regulations made under the Act apply unless it specifically stated in the regulation that it does not apply. Some Regulations do actually state that they are applied outside Great Britain by virtue of that Order but others do not. Confused – you bet! Bob Randall
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2001 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Bob, The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (Application Outside Great Britain) 1995 (previously 1989 and 1977) relates to the applicability of the UK legislation to structures and work activities in territorial waters such as offshore installations, mines and pipelines. This has got nothing to do with N. Ireland. N.Ireland’s primary H&S legislation is the Health and Safety at Work (NI) Order 1978. There have been many regulations enacted under this umbrella over the years. A full list is available on HSE NI’s website. http://www.hseni.gov.uk/ Ciaran mailto:ciaran@confinedspaces.com
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2001 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hi Ciaran, As you say the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (Application Outside Great Britain) 1995 (previously 1989 and 1977) relates to the applicability of the UK legislation to structures and work activities in territorial waters such as offshore installations, mines and pipelines. Now that I have re-read the legislation I can see that it does not apply to N.I. Many thanks for your response. I will visit the HSE's N.I. website. Bob Randall