Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2001 22:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sheila Dover Recently a newspaper in Canada reported that people suffering with repetitive strain injuries were experiencing mostly "Hysteria" - in other words they did not really have the condition - I work with many people who are suffering "real pain" and would not appreciate being sterotyped in this manner - how do you feel on this subject
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2001 07:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young I've seen it from both perspectives. I have known people to have real problems with upper limb disorders or whatever title it attracts this week and they need all the help that they can get. I also have seen those who quite obviously abuse this type of disorder and outside of work, lead full & active lives whilst pursuing compensation claims. It is these parasites and the fact that ULD's can't normally be seen that causes the suspicion in the ranks. Roll on the day when we can 100% diagnose ULD's and weed out the malingerers.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2001 13:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Sheila, Whatever the type of industrial injury there will always be malingerers as well as genuine cases. It is the genuine cases I feel sorry for because their employer has let them down in most instances. However, the thrust must be on removing the causes of injuries. The more we do to remove the possibilities, the better the workplace will be. It is only by having in place safe systems of working (with suitable tools and equipment) and ensuring that such systems are robustly enforced that we will keep such injuries to a minimum. It matters not whether it is ULD's / RSI or anything else. It's a hard slog, but just occasionally it all seems to be worth it! Regards, Frank Cooper