Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2001 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gillian Hall I would like to know if anybody has any information about 'safety passports' becoming a legal requirement.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2001 12:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams http://home.freeuk.net/ccnsgforum/ccnsg.htm The above link is all I knew about the scheme, however a search of the HSE website www.hse.gov.uk will provide a report into the scheme and its possible wider application. Hope this helps Ashley Williams Trainer Keighley Worksafe
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2001 15:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Fisher Gillian The HSE are currently preparing a Guidance Note on Safety Passports (suggested content etc). I don't believe it will become Law. However there is an industry move afoot to only employ persons with a "card". I don't have any major details here. Regards Bill
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2001 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Here is the reply I received from the HSE on the subject, hope it helps. "UK schemes are very much client led. There are no plans to make them compulsory, and no relevant legislation on the horizon. The only mandatory scheme we are aware of operates in the construction sector in Ireland." Ashley Williams
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2001 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Ashley With respect to the HSE’s comments on construction schemes in Ireland there are two schemes in particular; Construction Skills Register and Safe T Cert (a safety management systems audit). The first has 10% to 15% of the workforce signed up and the latter has just been launched but is still in pilot mode. Neither scheme is compulsory and the Client bodies have yet to make them mandatory for tenderers. Even if they are made mandatory there will have to be a rider in the contracts to allow for equal or better schemes. There are other audit schemes but Safe T Cert has the imprimatur of IOSH and IRCA. Regards Ciaran mailto:ciaran@confinedspaces.com
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 June 2001 07:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craig Foyle The point has been covered about safety passport's being Client led, however, you need to be aware that there are a number of different schemes running depending upon the industry, e.g. CCNSG and the new Food Safety Passport for my area of business. (Mechanical Engineering - Food & Chemical Industries) Let me know if you would like more information.