Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2001 08:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Hill Hi everyone, I posted a question about risk assessment and the transportation of young people. Sadly I've yet to get a response. Surely somone can help. I will wait in anticipation. Paul
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2001 20:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I suspect it's because you posted the question on a Friday afternoon and many of the regular contributors will not have seen it yet. Risk assessments are needed for work activities but only significant risks require recording and control measures devised and implemented. Employers tend to require their employees driving their own vehicles for the business of the employer to produce evidence of appropriate insurance cover. This can, I understand, often be obtained at no additional cost. The vulnerability of both the driver and the passenger and any risk that one may present to the other should be taken into account and, perhaps, individual client risk assessments may be needed - depending upon the nature of the work activity involved. Schools tend to refer to pupil groups in this respect whereas persons in care are usually individually assessed. Where children and young persons are in the regular charge of others in school activities, the DfEE (now DfES) have produced guidance requiring police checks. I would expect any employer responsible for this type of work to give proper attention to the associated risks and to have made adequate enquiries, etc in this respect. As Monday approaches, I look forward to more informative replies from others.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2001 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Paul Your message was posted at 3.30 pm on Friday, and this message was posted 9.00 am Sunday. Give us a chance - some of us (try) to have a life outside of health and safety yout know Richard