Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 July 2001 08:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Tradgett Anyone know of a statutory requirement to keep records of safety training for at least 6 years? I am involved in a dispute concerning Confined Space training records, and one party has mentioned this 6 year rule.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2001 11:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant Phil, I am not sure of a statutory need to keep training records for a given time but would suggest like accident report forms they could be useful in supporting you against any future litigation claim for damages. I have had to produce records to prove that individuals have been trained in manual handling to defend a back injury claim and was grateful that we kept records for at least seven years. Regards, Martin.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2001 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I would suggest that there is a good case for keeping them for the duration of the employment of the staff concerned and then at least another 3 years.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2001 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By domino I believe that the original statement of 6 years is correct. The papers concerned are "company documents" and I believe should be retained, along with all H&S documentation for a period similar to legal, tax and financial documentation. I seem to recall that if a person is exposed to a risk (let us say asbestos in this case) then they have a period of time _from the time they knew of the onset of the disease_ in which to make a compensation claim. Those Safety Training Records showing that the individual was given intensive training in the use of PPE, with regular updates and/or re-training, would be a document in defence - especially if it could subsequently be proven that the individual hadn't been using the supplied ppe. I believe that all "versions" of H&S documentation should also be retained to show an evolving safety environment, the provision of such would be evidence that on a given date certain versions were extant and that the individual had not complied. whilst not a definitive answer I hope this helps. domino
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2001 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor For an interesting 'free article' on this subject see www.safety-now.co.uk