Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 July 2001 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Caroline James It looks like I might finally have persuaded my employer to fund my taking the NEBOSH Diploma part 2. I have already completed the TUC Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health and have worked in health and safety, mainly low risk office based, for the last 3 years. I am hoping I will be accepted for the diploma course on this basis and my IOSH Tech SP status. However, subject to my interview next week, if I am accepted on the course I have reservations as to any gaps there might be in my knowledge due to not having done the diploma part 1. Would anyone out there have any notes or other information which I might find useful? Thanks in hopeful anticipation.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2001 19:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Harper Caroline Having recently completed both parts 1 and 2, I think that the broad spectrum of part 2 will expose the gaps in everyone knowledge. To help you in your decision to go straight to part 2, I think you should evaluate the value of your experinces. Coming from a construction background and working with a team of very competent people gave me more value than the tutors and course material. Coming from a low risk office based environment as you describe it may make it difficult for you if you dont experince, in depth, some health and safety issues. My advice is.. 1 Do Part 1 first. 2 Meet as many safety professionals as you can. 3 Get them to show you how they deal with their issues. 4 Then do part 2. To help you get NEBOSH's guide to the 2 part diploma. It shows you the syllabus and required learning and remeber that its ok learning it, but at some point you may need to apply it. To demonstrate it is easier if you have practical experince, something you should aquire from visiting different workplaces and interacting with professionals.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2001 08:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Caroline James Thanks for the advice Ian, unfortunately I don't have the choice of doing part 1 first, it's taken me long enough to persuade them to let me take part 2, simply because they see part 2 as providing me with the necessary qualification to be the safety professional they want, with of course the relevant experience gained over time. They have neither the funds nor time available for me to do both, hence my having gone through the TUC route to get as far as I have. Having said that I am hoping to have the support and advice of our Corporate Safety team and where necessary I am confident they may allow me to shadow their personnel to gain experience of more high risk cases than I would meet in my own environment. I am also hopeful that, as when I completed the TUC Certificate, there will be a mix of backgrounds among my fellow course members and we can share experiences, I found this invaluable before. Many thanks once again for your input.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2001 20:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Onigbanjo Could I suggest that help may also be at hand through your local branch members. You will find a wide range of experience here, and I am sure there will be people only too happy to offer assistance. Who knows you may even find a willing mentor. Regards, Dave O.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2001 21:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Caroline, Having done both NEBOSH Diploma Pt 1 and the TUC Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health (TUCCOSH) can I possibly offer my opinion. I found the NEBOSH Diploma to be a lot more intense, and ultimately a lot more rewarding than the TUCCOSH. Irrespective of whether the TUCCOSH gives you Tech Sp membership of IOSH I would advise you to consider doing NEBOSH Diploma Part 1 before attempting Part 2. This will give you a good feel for part 2 and break you in for the assignments and resultant exams. You may think you are covering old ground by going down this route but personally I did not think so. I believe that the TUCCOSH will stand you in good stead for Diploma 1. If your employer is keen to see you develop he should have no problem with this, mine didnt. If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to contact me. Kind Regards Lee.