Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2001 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Churchill Can anyone confirm the safety requirments with regards to the positioning of Razor Wire on top of walls etc. as a security measure. I am aware of the need to display appropriate warning signage, what else is required?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2001 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor A few quick thoughts: Will it present a 'nuisance to a Public Highway'? Will it require planning approval? (listed buildings, conservation areas and the like); Risk assessment; Will it be readily accessible to children? (eg from nearby trees and other vantage points); Will you be able to mount a successful defence if someone is injured by the wire and decides to sue? What about decorative rolling ant-scale devices? (eg fleurs-de-lys with roundels on top) or anti-climb paint?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2001 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant Shaun, I suggest that you seek advice from your local Police Crime Prevention Officer as they are very concerned about the danger to their officers who are pursuing a criminal. I was advised not to use a less harmful method (plastic spikes) on top of a two metre wall by the Metropolitan Police recently. Am I right in thinking that these type of defenses have to situated on the inside of your boundary and not on top of a wall etc? Regards, Martin.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 July 2001 20:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Remember that if you plan to use this as a deterrent, it should be clearly visible and not concealed by trees, plants or other foliage. Otherwise it may me seen as a trap set to catch intruders.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 July 2001 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty Any type of deterrent also has to have appropriate signage. ie Warning Anti-Climb paint. Although I personnaly think that AC paint is not much of a deterrent,as most kids don't care if they get filthy or not and in many cases the paint dries out within a year. The organisation that I work for was recently admonished in court for "not taking reasonable steps" to ensure that unauthorised access could be gained. We went round all the buildings (around 200+) and put up appropriate signage and AC paint at the appropriate places and in many instances children are still gaining access. Would signs and paint be "reasonably practicable" in taking "reasonable steps" or would we have to go the whole hog and put up razor wire or spikes etc. I would be interested in your opinions.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2001 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor My preference is for the rolling anti-scale devices. They can be quite decorative and without sharp points. However, we are having a problem with one of our Grade 1 listed buildings at the moment as the planners are refusing all suggestions of this nature!