Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2001 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Katie Brown I am putting together an event addressing proactive accident and incident reporting and investigation, and am seeking advice on which companies are leading the field. The conference will cover the following industries: oil and gas, utilities, transport, heavy manufacturing, pharmaceutical, process and food manufacturiing. If anyone has any strong thoughts on what an event such as this should cover - I would also be interested in hearing from them...
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2001 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram Can I suggest that if IIR want the help of IOSH members in staging such an event (as distinct from non-members who may also participate in this Forum), that you formally approach IOSH Technical Affairs. As a generality, I suggest that conferences about 'best practice' in this and other areas of OSH practice should typically be organised by a professional body, either alone or in in partnership with a commercial organisation, rather than be purely commercial events. What do others think?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2001 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith Katie Brown, If this event is based upon new independent research into this key OH&S subject, could you please share this information with this forum and identify where it is published?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2001 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Mr Waldram It seem to me that Ms Brown is casting her net wide, looking for experts/ industry leaders (not IOSH members). There is a difference :-) Tim
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2001 21:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Tim - I intended to say something similar when I saw first saw this. Katie, Ian is part of the IOSH hierachy and I guess they are peeved you have the acumen to spot a niche'. Don't take it personally. Is this forum public or what? I think IOSH ought to make up its mind one way or the other. Katie's request seems very reasonable to me.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 July 2001 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram Apologies if my comment was unclear. I have absolutely no concerns about IIR contacting non-IOSH people through this forum. And if they have indeed 'spotted a niche' in relation to this subject, then well done. However I know they have run events with a similar theme previously. At their request, I made a presentation at one about a year ago and was interested that, I think without exception, all the other speakers were also IOSH members, though IOSH had no role in planning or publicising the event. Also the audience was extremly small on that occasion, so maybe the market for this particular 'niche' isn't so large? If there are non-IOSH people doing really good things re accident investigation, then we should be keen to learn from them, which is why partnering in such events seemed to me a good idea.