Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2001 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Blair My office sits opposite a city centre contruction site, in Glasgow, which has been the source of much amusement to my fellow colleagues. The site is full of casual labourers who think nothing of launching debris from the building into skips on the street below (narrowly missing passing cars and pedestrians). The HSE just happened to visit the site (I wonder how that happened?) only to discover the project had not been notified , he could not discover who the Principal Contractor was and the Client was uncontactable in a foriegn country. The HSE inspector now has to spend valuable time (time he can hardly afford) on hunting down the parties involved in this project. This made me consider what could be done to prevent these projects slipping through the CDM net. Perhaps a link up to Planning Permission or Building Control applications. Does anyone have any similar experiencies or views on how these rogue clients could be prevented from starting projects with scant regards to safety legislation and to their employees? Regards, Andy Blair
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2001 20:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Why not ask Samson -see thread Area Safety Inspector. The likelyhood of ending up in court is minimal. And the outcome is a few grand in fines.Therefore, it is reasonably practicable to do just what you **** well want.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2001 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey We clearly have the good and the bad and I have been finding that many contractors especially small ones do not bother with either CDM or any other legislation. However I do not want to give the Construction Industry a bad name and would promote the idea of reporting offenders. One rule for one and one rule for another cannot go on forever. In fact if principle contractors and clients managed and inspected their sub-contractors on a regular basis, a great deal of these poor standards would be eliminated.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2001 18:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Andy, I have saved the HSE some time and effort. The principal contractor was Samson. Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 August 2001 19:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker In my message earlier I used a very naughty word (it would seem). It has four letters, begins with D and ends in N. I was under the impression this was a very mild expression, but is would seem big brother thinks otherwise. The word has been replaced without my consent with ****. I've posted this in case anyone thinks **** is some other foul expression. I do not use foul language in public and for the moderators to imply otherwise is verging on libel.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 August 2001 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Blair Dear Nick, Thank you for your response to above thread. Its funny you should mention the name Samson, because a big guy (with long hair) knocked on my door on Friday and without any warning battered me. How did this happen? Andy Blair c/o Glasgow Royal Infirmary
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 August 2001 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant PLease note that the Moderators NEVER edit messages posted to this Forum. The website has an automatic filter that removes swear words and replaces them with asterisks. The Moderators may however remove messages which breach the code of conduct to which all users of the Forum agree when logging on to the Forum. I hope this clarifies the position. Martin Bessant, For Moderating Team.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 August 2001 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede As Jim says the consequences of prosecution are mere trifles in the total costs of a project such as this. Surely in the absence of a safety management system of any sort the HSE would be acting quite reasonably in closing the site down which would hit all the offenders where it hurts most - the profit margin. If anything is going to concentrate the minds of the clent and principal contractor it is this as well as the inconvenience of the clearly highly casual workforce disappearing in the absence of paid work on to do something else.