Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2001 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Is stress related absence reportable under RIDDOR? I know of a few people, not all in my own workplace, who have been off work for some weeks with work related stress, but no report has been made. To me it is a work related illness, or a mental "injury" if you like, and should be reported as such, but others say that since it is not on the list of notifiable diseases, and it is not an "accident" no report should be made. Any Opinions? Richard
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2001 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods The UK National Stress Network have a very strong position on the subject contact them at brian.robinson@nasuwt.net for more info Robert Woods.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2001 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Liz Johnston The HSE have been very clear about this is and have stated stress is NOT reportable. Liz
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2001 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack - - - because it clearly does not require reporting under RIDDOR.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2001 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram Just a thought - Rather than discussing whether or not to to report time off due to stress, isn't it better to spend time to identify possible work-related stressors and also help individuals to deal with all sources of stress - whether work-related or not - which affect work performance? Based on a quick skim, the revised HSE guidance for managers on stress looks pretty practical - what do others think?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 August 2001 10:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack A shade patronising, Ian? Just because people are answering a specific question about reporting stress related ill health doesn't mean they are not also considering how to manage occupational stress. You could make a similar contribution to virtually every thread. On the new HSE guidance, its ok. I think the 5 steps approach is helpful (and by breaking the issues down into understandable sections may make managers realise that there is something they can do) but it doesn't seem to break much new ground and it tends towards the bleedin' obvious.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 August 2001 12:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Talking about a simialr response to every thread, you could also find all the ones where someone has tried to offer helpful advice on the spot, get out your copy of the regulations, and pick fault with the odd word (assuming you have the time of course) Nick
Admin  
#8 Posted : 21 August 2001 15:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Thanks everybody. Unfortunately I cannot investigate stress since my company does not recognise it as an H&S problem, but an HR one. That is, perhaps, the problem! My view is that in 99% of cases stressors are human, and in senior positions. It is this area we should be tackling, and it is these people, not the victims, who need stress management counselling Richard
Admin  
#9 Posted : 21 August 2001 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Richard, It seems your company are a little misguided in thinking Stress is not a Health and Safety issue. The Health and Safety Executive seem to think Stress is an Health and Safety issue, so much so in fact they have published guidance on it ! "Stress related illness is responsible for the loss of 6.5 million working days each year costing employers around £370 million" Ask your employers, to purchase a copy of; "Tackling work related stress a managers guide to improving and maintaining employeee health and well being" HSG218. I have a copy of a stress questionnaire written by the GMB Trade Union for employees to fill in as a word document if you, or anyone else wants a copy. Kind Regards Lee.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 22 August 2001 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Thanks, Lee. I have, of course, tried all the good things you mention, and shall keep plugging away! We do already have a GMB Safety Rep with whom I have a close working relationship. There's more than one way of skinning a cat!! Richard PS They don't regard the Working Time Regs as an H&S issue either, but that's a separate story!