Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2003 16:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Crookes Can anyone confirm whether you legally need to have an accident book (B1510) or if compliance with L74 guidelines is acceptable.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2003 17:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Appleton A couple of years ago when I worked for a different company who operated hundreds of sites around the country we moved away from having the B1510 accident book at every site in favour of a electronic database held off-site by National Britannia (the company that runs the HSE Accident Report Line). (Those having an accident would call a 24 hour phone number to make a report). As you might expect, the information recorded was in line with the info required for a report under RIDDOR. Before we could go down this route, we had to first gain approval from the DHSS (now the Dept for Work & Pensions I believe). Hope this helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2003 22:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Steve, I haven't used a BI510 accident book in any of the companies I have worked for over the past 8 years. They are outdated and encourage a culture of 'record and forget'. Much better I think to have an accident report form that embraces all the relevant information that you might put into a BI510 page but has the added bonus of being used to trigger an investigation into route cause and identify corrective/preventive action. Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2003 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Steve, I would refer you to the related thread called "Accident Books" which is also running at the moment - it discusses changes to the B1510 Book due to the Data Protection Act. We are based on numerous sites and have books on each, with an additional central Lotus Notes database for recording accidents, incidents and suggestions. Under social security law we are required to record names and addresses of those involved in accidents and this is normally achieved through the B1510 book, but a duplicate report in the SIR (Safety Incident Report) database does NOT require this detail (because of the confidentiallity aspect) and promotes a no-blame culture to encourage reporting. Unfortunately, the B1510 book only records accident details, whereas our SIR database allows for root cause analysis, corrective action and review for effectiveness. We've ended up with a hybrid system that on the face of it suffers from the scourge of duplication, but there is no easy way to deal with it and meet both statutory requirements and application of good safety practice in investigating and recording actions. Add to this the fact that the nature, frequency and location of accidents are all used for planning effective preventive action and this requires a high visibility of the recording system including historical records where individual cases can be used as illustrative examples in training and awareness sessions, and we have all sorts of potential complications in trying to apply a single recording system. Which boils down to the fact that we had been considering getting rid of the B1510 but might need to rethink that in light of current events. Now that I come to think of it, I've been of little help in answering your question but at least I've given you some more aspects to consider!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2003 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Under the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979, an accident book in a format appoved by the relevant Secretary of State with particulars as referred to in regulation 24 and as mentioned in schedule 4 must be kept by employers who normally employ more than 10 people or who run premises covered by the Factories Act 1961. This book is for employees to record the details of any accident that caused them personal injury. The Social Security (Claims and Payments) Amendment (No. 3) Regulations 1993 amended Regulation 25 of the 1979 Regulations so as to permit the record of industrial accidents which employers are required to keep to be kept by electronic means . The key factor is that whatever means you choose, employees must have easy/readily available access to it. As long as your system has the particulars (now in "conflict" with Data Protection Act principles as far as the address is to be given), it is immaterial whether you use this particular book, electronic methods etc.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 March 2003 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Sorry, I missed including the point that many organisations have systems that incorporates requirements of RIDDOR and The Social Security Regulations in the same format.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 April 2003 21:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Steve, I haven't used a BI510 accident book in any of the companies I have worked for over the past 20 years. They encourage a culture of 'record, and hope management forget so that when I put my claim in 12 months time the accident investigation trail will have gone cold'. (a bit of cut paste from Paul Craythornes comments some additions of my own) All large companies that I have worked in, audited or visited have used a system whereby the person having the accident / injury must report it to his supervisor or medical centre immediately. Brief details are taken from the injured person and a full investigation report is carried out by the supervisor or even more senior person "promptly". This method more than satisfies the requirements of the BI510, RIDDOR, the insurers, and is really an important part of any good Safety Management system in preventing further and similar accidents
Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2003 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Webber Is it not true that an employee that has an accident at work has a right to personally enter the details into the Accident Book ? If this is the case then all systems that integrate the Accident Book and the accident report form must provide for the injured party to record their version of events, and for them to be able to freely access this information.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2003 07:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Crookes Thankyou all for your contributions. We have an accident reporting form that allows the injured party,first aider or manager to fill in the details of how the accident occured, injuries etc (no address is required). The accident form is then passed to the relevant line manager who have all been trained in accident investigation procedures. The accident investigation sheet is returned to EHS where it is retained in our records and a CAPA form is raised to ensure all corrective actions are carried out. The accident book is also completed but from the information given by the respondents to this thread we will now be withdrawing this book. Thankyou all for your responses. Steve