Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
asifbt  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2015 05:22:15(UTC)
asifbt

Hi All, My first post here! I have been working in safety in excess of 10+ years but with the US government (in middle east) so I skipped a lot of UK and other international certification till now. However, I have reached the saturation point in career with this organization due to my nationality. So for the past few months I have been working on getting relevant certificates to move to a new job within Middle East. I have completed the NEBOSH IGC (exam on 02 Sep). I am planning on doing three consecutive courses, OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001 and ISO 9001; all lead auditor courses. These courses are certified by IRCA and requires a closed book assessment at the end of the course. I am well versed with safety and have a pretty good understanding of environmental issues but not so sure on the quality. I am wondering if anyone has completed these courses and how difficult are the exams? I would appreciate sincere feedback so that I can take decision whether to attend all three courses in consecutive weeks. All courses suggest a good understanding of the standards prior to attending, however due to the time crunch I am in now, that is not an option. For me right now it’s either do it all in one go now or wait for some time and do an internal auditor course and then progress to the lead auditor. It may seem I have answers to my own questions, but I am confused if it is something doable then I will commit and take my chances and I do understand every person has different knowledge levels. Please help! Best Regards, Asif
wclark1238  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2015 15:44:33(UTC)
wclark1238

Each to their own Asif but if I were you I'd look to select one of the Lead Auditor courses and concentrate on it. Thereafter I'd probably look to complete Internal Auditor courses on the other 2 standards. From my very limited experience - very, very limited - most employers in this country (at least) stipulate a preference for auditors to hold a lead auditor qualification. I get the impression that a single LA qualification along with familiarity and knowledge of other standards is going to open most doors pretty wide. Clearly 3 x LA would likely open those same doors a little wider but I am unsure how achievable it is for you to get all 3 in such a short time especially as you profess to being unsure about the 9001 stuff. Whichever way you go good luck with it.......gulp!
chris42  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2015 16:17:01(UTC)
chris42

You do know those standards are in the process of changing don't you ? OHSAS will become and ISO standard 45001. Both ISO9001 and ISO14001 are due to change any week now. So make sure your course covers the latest levels and not have to go back for any top up's on the changes. ISO9001 etc all follow the same basic structure, but it will be a lot more about the product and ensuring it is correct by the time it gets to the customer and they get what they want, when they want it ( as agreed at the start). If your not familiar with QA you may struggle a bit IMHO. Not beyond the wit of man though if you can get someone to explain it all properly. But there are whole books on the subject. The courses are not to tech you the standards as such but how to audit them, so not being familiar with the standards will be a problem. I have not actually done the lead auditor course, but have successfully set up systems for them in a couple of company's now. I did do a Five day ISO14001 auditor course, which I didn't find that bad but was open book, but I had already set up a company's systems before going on the course. All the best. Chris
asifbt  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2015 18:46:55(UTC)
asifbt

Thank you wclark1238 and Chris42. This is what I was looking for, someone to give me perspective of what I was about engage. Now that I see it, I am going to restrict myself to just the lead auditor course for OHSAS 18001 for now. Probably tackle the others just as the internal and not lead auditors some other time. Once again many Thanks for taking the time to respond. Regards Asif