Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WatsonD  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2016 13:27:56(UTC)
WatsonD

I currently work as a H&S manager. I undertook the NEBOSH Cert several years ago, and am now looking to undertake further training to progress my skills. Whilst I do ultimately want to move to Grad IOSH status, I want the training I do to be the most worthwhile, to augment this - not simply a stepping stone. The three main options available to me are: NEBOSH Dip/ NVQ level 5 and NCRQ. At the moment I am veering towards the NEBOSH Dip as that seems to involve the most "learning". The NVQ L5 seems to be about providing evidence to prove my competence and the NCRQ course content looks as though it was put together by insurance companies to fulfill their "ideal H&S model", with a whole third of the course devoted to Personal Injury Liability. However, I would really like to get further view and opinions on this from my fellow H&S professionals. Which is considered more sought after and are there any alternatives I have not even considered?
gerrysharpe  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2016 13:57:39(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Hi, I'm doing the NCRQ mainly because of the speed which i can finish the course, yes whilst i agree HSD2 gets you a certificate Level 6 in Personal Injury Liability, which seems to be odd, the bonus is no exams or extra payments unlike Nebosh. The final part HSD3 in workplace hazards will finally get you a Diploma and you can get your GradIOSH with that. The whole NCRQ route is new and looks promising, I'm also doing my Nebosh National Certificate in Construction health & Safety, so i guess i will try them both out Good luck in what you decide
Sapper.D  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2016 15:56:01(UTC)
Sapper.D

If your are academic and willing to put your personal life on hold to revise for the diploma then I would say go for it, but you have to be committed to the work that is required outside of the class room and have a boss that is willing to allow you to spend some time off work in the run up to the exams. I personally went down the diploma route full of the intention to fully commit but due to work demands and family life I found that I could not put enough of my own time into revising and prepping for the exam. I sat the Unit B straight after studying that particular unit and passed it, but I found that revising for the other exams was difficult and subsequently failed. It doe not help that the exams are just after Christmas and slap in the middle of what is usually our two weeks of summer! I decided to go the NVQ route as the evidence is work based and I'm finding that I have to research some of the elements also. So far so good, I'm looking to move to Grad IOSH asap. Feel free to IM if you want to discuss further.
walker  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2016 07:47:57(UTC)
walker

If your ultimate goal is CMIOSH which one is best is really down to you. NCRQ have muddied the water a bit by insisting their "certificate" is level 6 whereas so far as IOSH is concerned its NEBOSH certificate equivalent. So far as I am aware none has yet "passed" NCRQ diploma yet so its anyones guess if its a good route to CMIOSH. Whats for sure there is no easy route to CMIOSH and thats as it should be. Otherwise is would not be worth having.
WatsonD  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2016 11:57:04(UTC)
WatsonD

Thanks, This may be too contentious for this forum I guess, but what I am really after is not which route is quickest or easiest. But which is the most valued i.e. which would be more sough after by an employer. I don't want to take the hardest route if it is of no better value. But at the same time I don't want to undertake a Qual if the only selling point is how easy it is. Perhaps I am being too idealistic and most employers wouldn't care a jot (or even know the difference). Rospa produced this recently: http://rospaworkplacesaf...diploma-route-to-cmiosh/ stating that the NEBOSH dip was more sought after as it was the most academic route. There are a lot of comments on other posts about under qualified H&S personnel and I wondered whether there were particular opinions on this
hopeful  
#6 Posted : 23 February 2016 12:25:49(UTC)
hopeful

In my experience it depends on the employer, some people look down on NVQ, rightly or wrongly. I know senior managers who would not employ someone with an NVQ even if they are CMIOSH. Also many job adverts ask for Diploma not NVQ. You have to remember that unqualified people in H&S are often doing the recruiting so could be swayed by the Diploma. Therefore I would suggest that you chose what will suit you better.
ballyclover  
#7 Posted : 23 February 2016 12:47:16(UTC)
ballyclover

Its and open ended question. It's all about opinions and you will never get the answer you want to hear. At the end of the day its what suits you the bets and your way of working. For me the Diploma was not a route I could follow, too expensive and not enough hours in the day for me to revise, 5 kids and busy job didn't make it possible. NVQ for me was the best route, was able to use my work as examples, opened up my mind to things I wasn't doing and did it in all in 3 months. Wasn't easy and many a late night writing essay type answers, but for me was worth the pain. Doing my CMIOSH as we speak, so hasn't stopped me. Its down to you at the end of the day
6foot4  
#8 Posted : 23 February 2016 14:53:56(UTC)
6foot4

I hold two qualifications that allowed me to obtain Grad IOSH. Neither of them are NEBOSH, NVQ level 5 or NCRQ. Those aren't the only three qualifications options and I implore you to look at others. I achieved my second qualification because I would like a MSc. The first qualification (from another country) I had, did not allow me to progress onto the final modules for the MSc (although it helped me achieve Grad IOSH) at the University I wanted to go to. So I had to complete 6 modules, which I duly did in 13 months and achieved a Post Grad Diploma. I loved it. I have one more big module to finish and I'll achieve a MSc. Nevertheless, the point I am trying to make is that a PGDip is ranked as a higher qualification (level 7) then the NEBOSH diploma (level 6) and depending on the University will be seen as more prestigious. Its costs more though. But....with so many NEBOSH diploma holders supposedly walking around, it will make me stand out more! :-) I think each qualification offers something different, and doing well in one doesn't guarantee you will do well in another so you must pick one that will your suit aptitude, availability and budget. Every employer will have their viewpoint / prejudice though, so choose wisely in line with the type of employer you hope to pitch your services at.
hilary  
#9 Posted : 24 February 2016 13:11:51(UTC)
hilary

At the end of the day, you can have a list of qualifications as long as your arm and as high as you like - this may get you an interview, but you need the practical experience which you already have and "proof" you can actually do the job. Diploma, NVQ, Degree, Masters, Doctorate - doesn't matter as long as you can do the job and prove it. Good luck with whatever route you choose.
imponderabilius  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2016 14:37:54(UTC)
imponderabilius

Check out this thread in study forum: http://forum.iosh.co.uk/...spx?g=posts&t=120473 I've just started ncrq and I'm really happy I've chosen this path.
WatsonD  
#11 Posted : 25 February 2016 09:41:56(UTC)
WatsonD

I see that this is an ongoing issue and provokes a great deal of discussion in other threads. I think it is a case of which route appeals x career aspirations. For anyone who may be following the comments on here, may I suggest also looking at this interesting article: http://www.healthandsafe...edge-gap-training-routes For me though, I think the jury is still out for now.
TudorWilliams  
#12 Posted : 27 February 2016 18:36:13(UTC)
TudorWilliams

WatsonD wrote:
Thanks, This may be too contentious for this forum I guess, but what I am really after is not which route is quickest or easiest. But which is the most valued i.e. which would be more sough after by an employer. I don't want to take the hardest route if it is of no better value. But at the same time I don't want to undertake a Qual if the only selling point is how easy it is. Perhaps I am being too idealistic and most employers wouldn't care a jot (or even know the difference). Rospa produced this recently: http://rospaworkplacesaf...diploma-route-to-cmiosh/ stating that the NEBOSH dip was more sought after as it was the most academic route. There are a lot of comments on other posts about under qualified H&S personnel and I wondered whether there were particular opinions on this
Diploma offer a great deal of knowledge but not always knowledge you'll need or use. Consider also the period of time over which the knowledge is accrued and how your role / career may change in that time. NVQs in 3 months are rare and questionable.Presenting evidence against the standards is one thing, demonstrating that the evidence is being consistently applied in your role through a variety of assessment methods is far more important and should be the mark of a good assessor / candidate relationship. A candidate who learns to develop a wide variety of evidence to different scenarios in the NVQ is in my book better prepared to move forward to CMIOSH. The reason being is that they can furnish their CPD better as they understand the meaning of 'reflection' better and have a wider range of experiences (activities) to populate their CPD. Also when they get to the peer interview they can look back at a far more relevant development period where they can show application.
hilary  
#13 Posted : 18 December 2019 09:31:29(UTC)
hilary

Originally Posted by: hilary Go to Quoted Post
At the end of the day, you can have a list of qualifications as long as your arm and as high as you like - this may get you an interview, but you need the practical experience which you already have and "proof" you can actually do the job. Diploma, NVQ, Degree, Masters, Doctorate - doesn't matter as long as you can do the job and prove it. Good luck with whatever route you choose.

Oh, how prophetic. hahaha

hailss  
#14 Posted : 18 December 2019 20:36:37(UTC)
hailss

The question you ask is not quite that simple to answer.  Many of my colleagues have gone down the NEBOSH route and regretted it mostly from a learning style perspective.  I myself when down the NCRQ Certificate route (and yes I do intend to complete the remaining 2 x courses to get the Diploma).

I found the HSD1 Certificate challenging and it that way I would argue I learnt more about putting the legeslation into practice.  However if you look at many Forums and Job Adverts they still predominently talk about NEBOSH qualifications so as many have said the choice really is yours and it depends on why your doing it.  If your looking for promotion or increased opportunities I would probable steer down the NEBOSH route currently however I do believe that the NCRQ is challenging just in a different way and just as valuable  - My thoughts don't however get you a Job and as many of those recruiting still aren't really aware of NCRQ or what it is then maybe that does make the answer simple after all.

Good Luck either way

Dave5705  
#15 Posted : 08 January 2020 16:08:29(UTC)
Dave5705

Oh, how prophetic. hahaha

I've been out of the loop Hilary, whats prophetic? What have I missed?
Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 08 January 2020 19:16:38(UTC)
Roundtuit

Someone finding a gem of wisdom they posted on the forum many moons ago that is just as relevant today and in a new post aka nothing new under the sun.

Edited by user 08 January 2020 19:19:13(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Roundtuit  
#17 Posted : 08 January 2020 19:16:38(UTC)
Roundtuit

Someone finding a gem of wisdom they posted on the forum many moons ago that is just as relevant today and in a new post aka nothing new under the sun.

Edited by user 08 January 2020 19:19:13(UTC)  | Reason: FFS