Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
psebastian_28  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2016 00:59:04(UTC)
psebastian_28

I have decided to work in H & S field as this is a new career for me. I have gained MSc in H & S. How can I get into this field? Do I need to get some voluntary work before I apply for a job? Do I need to obtain NEBOSH qualification that is requested by most of the employers? Percy
WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2016 08:07:37(UTC)
WatsonD

I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong answer Percy. Some experience obviously helps. However, your background and the area you are looking to move into; also what level are all factors. I would suggest you put your CV out there and see what comes back.
walker  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2016 08:48:13(UTC)
walker

You need to make it quite clear on your CV that the MSc is at least equivalent to the NEBOSH dip. This is difficult as the first pass is usually done by low level Admin who are schooled to look for NEBOSH and reject others.
thanks 1 user thanked walker for this useful post.
psebastian_28 on 29/11/2016(UTC)
walker  
#4 Posted : 09 August 2016 08:54:14(UTC)
walker

quote=psebastian_28]Do I need to obtain NEBOSH qualification that is requested by most of the employers? Percy
No. Academically you are ahead of the game. You need to emphasis you are prepared to have a low grade role to acquire the experience.
jodieclark1510  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2016 08:56:16(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Make sure your cv and letter of application is tailored to wanting to work in health and safety, and make sure you pull any experience you have into your cv, and any transferable skills you possess. If you have self funded any qualifications, add that in too.
thanks 1 user thanked jodieclark1510 for this useful post.
psebastian_28 on 29/11/2016(UTC)
simon73  
#6 Posted : 09 August 2016 09:27:29(UTC)
simon73

psebastian_28 wrote:
Do I need to obtain NEBOSH qualification that is requested by most of the employers? Percy
You have answered your own question here Percy. As stated before, it will probably be a junior admin/HR person initially sorting through CVs. I think with that in mind I would recommend writing something along the lines of 'NEBOSH Equivalent' after your MSc qualification. It will make it more likely that your CV will make the next sift. Do you mind me asking, was your MSc obtained here in the UK? If not you may find the NEBOSH General study material helpful as a refresher on UK law. Best of luck
psebastian_28  
#7 Posted : 09 August 2016 11:12:28(UTC)
psebastian_28

psebastian_28 wrote:
I have decided to work in H & S field as this is a new career for me. I have gained MSc in H & S. How can I get into this field? Do I need to get some voluntary work before I apply for a job? Do I need to obtain NEBOSH qualification that is requested by most of the employers? Percy
Sorry. I am going to reply like this as I am new to this forum and I do not know how to reply and thank you all individually. Also I have posted this last night and I opened today morning I have received several suggestions to my question. It is very great. I am now confident that H & S Professionals helping and supporting me me by providing advice. Thanks again to everyone. Thanks Simon73 - Yes I have obtained MSc at Hendon Campus, Middlesex Uni. Thanks Jodieclark1510 - Thanks. I will think of any experience that will suits to H & S field. For MSc also I have pocket out. Also I have done online health and safety courses on NHS web site also. I assume this will help me for some extent. Thanks Walker - I am planning to speak to the employer that if they provide me a month or so with the low pay (not the exact for the post) is adequate enough to catch and refresh my MSc knowledge. Also as I am doing full time in NHS if a work in H&S is offered I will get ready theoretically during 1 month notice and also go round the new place whenever times available and apply the knowledge into practice. Thanks WatsonD - It is true. I have got some experience in a Food Production company while doing MSc. I had a chance to provide advice on Awareness of H&S in practice. Also I attend IOSH meetings in London on and off. Also never forget to read all the SHP magazine. Also I have been a GradIOSH member for the last 4 years.
Kim Hedges  
#8 Posted : 12 November 2016 15:03:19(UTC)
Kim Hedges

So what's happened since August?

My experience has been that I simply can't break into any safety role, despite offering to take less money initially.  It simply stinks. 

thanks 1 user thanked Kim Hedges for this useful post.
brownsugar on 12/07/2020(UTC)
psebastian_28  
#9 Posted : 29 November 2016 16:28:16(UTC)
psebastian_28

Originally Posted by: Kim Hedges Go to Quoted Post

So what's happened since August?

My experience has been that I simply can't break into any safety role, despite offering to take less money initially.  It simply stinks. 

I have applied. Not yet sorted.
Mr Curious  
#10 Posted : 30 November 2016 16:56:43(UTC)
Mr Curious

It seems that despite all the above advice, the reality hits your quite differently, sad to say.

It is true that if you are close to the right person/mentor who is willing to offer you a junior/graduate/entry role then that would be superb! Or if you find him/her.

I am in similar situation having completed my MSc in HSE here in UK and about to "celebrate" my very first year of continuous employment in HSEQ. Hurray! However, since I am on a contract and currently digging around, I see that there is a huge gap between an entry level role and that of the next step (and I don't mean it by "title" promotion, I mean responsibilities and experience!). It seems almost non existent! A quick search will give managerial roles mostly and I am well aware that I am far from the role requirements. The 0 to 5 years of experience is the hardest nut to crack and my only advice is that you set this as your first employment target within H&S. [I understand that the contract differs from a permanent role as you could just build your experience and skills with your employer.]

Furthermore, I have spoken with many agents and companies and surprisingly enough, noone even mentioned previously gained or transferable soft skills, as they do not exist. I do have though as this is not the case with me, I have been previously employed but not within H&S. They only seem to focus on strictly Health and Safety experience or project experience. Well, as a graduate that gives you nothing, even worse if you haven't been employed in the past.

Do I detect an openning in the market there? Maybe...

Shopland23872  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2016 19:41:21(UTC)
Shopland23872

Just a suggestion as experience is what is holding you back. Look for a health and safety administrator role, that way you will have a foot in the door. Once you get the hang of that speak to the H&S manager or advisor and ask them to show you the ropes, ask if you can shadow them as you want to learn the role. You are already very highly qualified so you already possess part of your competence. A decent H&S manager will show you the ropes, I have had to do the same with a couple of graduates and they are now in full time H&S roles with other companies. We all enjoy training new recruits, as this is how most of us started our careers too. I hope that this helps.
thanks 2 users thanked Shopland23872 for this useful post.
Benji on 22/03/2017(UTC), brownsugar on 12/07/2020(UTC)
jim4244  
#12 Posted : 28 January 2017 10:33:35(UTC)
jim4244

If it is any consolation I too am finding it difficult to find a job in the UK due to having worked in various HSE roles across the globe for the last 18 years.

I am a CMIOSH and a FIIRSM and have a wide range of HS&E qualification and certification from Diploma down to Certificate, issued by NEBOSH, OCR, City & Guilds and British Safety Council BUT according to the many 20 year old recruiters who get to see my CV their clients are all looking for practitioners with recent UK experience.....

Don't get me wrong, I have worked on some fantastic projects and made a respectable living from working in HSE, but I am now finding it extremely frustrating that I am not deemed experienced enough to work in the UK. I attempt to point out that HS&E is transferable between industries and sectors and that due to my professional body memberships I am required to maintain CPD and stay abreast of new laws and developments, but to no avail.

I think that one of the major things that has changed over the last few years is that in the past a company HR department would recruit directly, but now this task is simply handed to a recruitment company where the bottom line is how much money they can make out of the process.

So, don't be despondent you are not alone.....Rant over! lol

thanks 1 user thanked jim4244 for this useful post.
brownsugar on 13/05/2019(UTC)
gerrysharpe  
#13 Posted : 28 January 2017 10:46:53(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Jim, I feel your pain, Igusessing that this is fairly widespread for people that work in HS but around the globe and then returning back to the UK with little or no UK experiance, What type of HS did you do, Construction, Oil & Gas etc.. 

Perhaps you need to overhaul your CV or perhaps tweak it a bit? Have you thought of setting up working for yourself as opposed to working for a company. 

Another Idea would be since you did so well working aboard, alot of those companies have Bases in the UK or even subsisteries which you could direct your CV to, If they know tou have prior company experiance they may take you on simply on that basis.

Do you feel that you could offer a H&S in the UK as you stand this moment in time? Why don't you Promote your CMISOH and FIIRSM and tell them that HS&E is transferable between industries and sectors and you would be a suitable candidate for that position.

Good Luck

Woodard29025  
#14 Posted : 29 January 2017 17:15:44(UTC)
Woodard29025

The most important question you should ask is do you want to do it as a vocation or as  a step in a career improvement allowing you to move on. 

zeghem_inam  
#15 Posted : 11 September 2017 10:34:28(UTC)
zeghem_inam

Originally Posted by: psebastian_28 Go to Quoted Post
I have gained MSc in H

Can you please inform me from which institute you have done that M Sc. Please guide of any credible universityoffer the M Sc. online? I am working in HSE field in UAE Abu Dhabi.  Zeghem

Invictus  
#16 Posted : 13 September 2017 08:59:53(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: gerrysharpe Go to Quoted Post

Jim, I feel your pain, Igusessing that this is fairly widespread for people that work in HS but around the globe and then returning back to the UK with little or no UK experiance, What type of HS did you do, Construction, Oil & Gas etc.. 

Perhaps you need to overhaul your CV or perhaps tweak it a bit? Have you thought of setting up working for yourself as opposed to working for a company. 

Another Idea would be since you did so well working aboard, alot of those companies have Bases in the UK or even subsisteries which you could direct your CV to, If they know tou have prior company experiance they may take you on simply on that basis.

Do you feel that you could offer a H&S in the UK as you stand this moment in time? Why don't you Promote your CMISOH and FIIRSM and tell them that HS&E is transferable between industries and sectors and you would be a suitable candidate for that position.

Good Luck

This is also the other way around people who have spent most time in the UK finding it difficult to move around the globe.