Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ChristopherBelfield  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2017 20:47:19(UTC)
ChristopherBelfield

Good evening, I am looking to take the step into a full health and safety position. I completed my NGC with merit in April and have recently attained practitioner with iema I have experience in FM, maintenance and electrical works yet I cannot get my C.V. past the application stage. Would anyone be kind enough to advise on my current C.V.? I am ex-army and still have elcas funding so if anyone can recommend any training to improve my skill set that would also be greatly received. I am based in Manchester but willing to travel. Many thanks in advance, Christopher
gerrysharpe  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2017 05:21:39(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Hi 

I would continue to press on for doing a Diploma, especially if you can still get funded for any training, I did  my Diploma with Distinction in Dec just before Christmas.  

Whilst the NGC is a stepping stone to starting your career you really need a bit more to get a firm step in H&S. Yu may be lucky looking for a junior entry position but with only a NGC many firms would want something more, especially if they are going to pay £££'s

Also you need to decide what niche of H&S you want to work towards, From a Personal view i would class Construction to be one of the highest paid niches out their with several jobs i've seen in London going for around £56 an hour or around £450 a day for a contract position of 18 months. 

Its still early days for you and now is a great time to have a think at which route you want to go down and work towards that goal.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on 

thanks 1 user thanked gerrysharpe for this useful post.
ChristopherBelfield on 06/01/2017(UTC)
walker  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2017 08:08:56(UTC)
walker

If you are ex services you might want to google security cleared jobs

thanks 1 user thanked walker for this useful post.
ChristopherBelfield on 06/01/2017(UTC)
jchc  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2017 08:46:11(UTC)
jchc

Originally Posted by: gerrysharpe Go to Quoted Post

Hi 

I would continue to press on for doing a Diploma, especially if you can still get funded for any training, I did  my Diploma with Distinction in Dec just before Christmas.  

Congrats on the Distinction

thanks 1 user thanked jchc for this useful post.
gerrysharpe on 05/01/2017(UTC)