Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Azza  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2017 14:42:47(UTC)
Azza

Hi I have my peer interview in a week. I've read lots of info on the process but wondered if anyone who has completed recently has any tips? I understand I will be asked 6 questions & a question on the iosh code of conduct. I've revised the code of conduct & thought of examples I can use but are you asked specifics e.g what is 2.1 of the code? Any tips will be appreciated
Chrishutcheson  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2017 09:41:13(UTC)
Chrishutcheson

Azza, I do not remember being asked to explain specific sections of the code, rather I was aked to explain why we have the code, general understanding of it and some examples to demonstrate putting the code into practice.

It is important to remember that this is not a test, rather it is used to verify that you are the person who has applied to get to this stage i.e. the person who completed the IPD, and that you are able suitable to recieved charter membership.

Study the questions and use suitable examples for each and be prepared to discuss them. Be confident in your own ability, knowledge, skills and experience.

You have probably already submitted your presentation so too late to change, but be very careful with your timing. If I remember correctly you get 10 minutes. I ran on slightly and they cut me off, so I missed out the last and best slide of my presentation. Run through your presentation as you would do it on the day and try and keep it to the 10 minutes.

Wish you all the best 

thanks 2 users thanked Chrishutcheson for this useful post.
Azza on 10/01/2017(UTC), Azza on 10/01/2017(UTC)
Chrishutcheson  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2017 09:41:13(UTC)
Chrishutcheson

Azza, I do not remember being asked to explain specific sections of the code, rather I was aked to explain why we have the code, general understanding of it and some examples to demonstrate putting the code into practice.

It is important to remember that this is not a test, rather it is used to verify that you are the person who has applied to get to this stage i.e. the person who completed the IPD, and that you are able suitable to recieved charter membership.

Study the questions and use suitable examples for each and be prepared to discuss them. Be confident in your own ability, knowledge, skills and experience.

You have probably already submitted your presentation so too late to change, but be very careful with your timing. If I remember correctly you get 10 minutes. I ran on slightly and they cut me off, so I missed out the last and best slide of my presentation. Run through your presentation as you would do it on the day and try and keep it to the 10 minutes.

Wish you all the best 

thanks 2 users thanked Chrishutcheson for this useful post.
Azza on 10/01/2017(UTC), Azza on 10/01/2017(UTC)
mark frearson  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2017 15:59:53(UTC)
mark frearson

Good advice from the poster above - also I was asked about my open book assessment, what I learnt from it and I was asked to give an example of  how I applied it. This one was a bit of a surprise to me. 

thanks 1 user thanked mark frearson for this useful post.
Azza on 10/01/2017(UTC)
ang  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2017 17:30:52(UTC)
ang

Don't be surprised by this question.  Depending upon which route you came down either ESDP or EOA will depend upon the question asked.  All they want to know from this is if you learned anything from the process which is going to be useful to you in the future.  

You won't be asked specifics and you can't get the questions now so you can't really study for them.  But what you can do is just reflect on what you have leanred and how you have put it into practice with some good examples.  Don't overthink it they will be very basic questions and all they will want is to know you know it and how you have applied it.  Be confident, you've got this far so all they want to see is how you are growing as a practitioner.

The panel will be willing you on and wanting you to succeed and will do everything they can - except give you the answer or let you know if you have passed or not.

Good luck.

Ang

thanks 1 user thanked ang for this useful post.
Azza on 10/01/2017(UTC)