Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dean m  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2017 09:52:51(UTC)
Dean m

Hi all, I'm after some advice on what course to take and what I can do in my work and spare time to help me start a career in health and safety. So, a bit about me, to hopefully give you some ideas of how I can move forward. I was in the RAF for 9 years as an Aircraft Technician, I then worked as a contractor for BAe. For the last 7 years I have been working in a factory in production/maintenance, this involves inspecting, operating and inspecting power presses. Firstly I am closing in on the big 40, am I to old to start a career in health and safety? I am expecting and happy to start in a lower position and work my way up from there. As for courses should I start with the NEBOSH general certificate or could I go straight into the NEBOSH diploma? Currently I work shifts and have some spare time so could I volunteer somewhere or tag on to a H&S inspector to gain some experience? Any more helpful advice will be very appreciated. Q Thank you Dean
WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2017 10:03:41(UTC)
WatsonD

Hi Dean,

As I'm sure you are aware there is no bonafied right and wrong for this, so if I start off by addressing you points one-by-one.

1. No I don't think age is a barrier. I think developing skills and experience in the industry aides your transistion as you have a better understanding.

2. My advice would be to dip your toe in first and do the Nebsoh cert. It will only take 12 weeks.

3. Yes shadowing would help. Utilise your networks for this

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Striker84 on 07/02/2017(UTC)
Stuart H  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2017 10:34:27(UTC)
Stuart H

Hi Dean

The NEBOSH General is a good place to start. 

Don't be put off by age i was 43 when i went into H&S full time for a civil engineering company and i started off much the same as you but 8 years as a matlow.

The main thing is you just have to kick start it yourself

Good Luck

Stuart

thanks 1 user thanked Stuart H for this useful post.
Striker84 on 07/02/2017(UTC)
Clark34486  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2017 10:52:18(UTC)
Clark34486

I'm often tempted to say 'don't do it' BUT I absolutely love my job, it's often the people I work for that frustrate me but with experience I now see this as a challenge rather than a blocker.....

What I will say is that brexit still weighs heavy on my mind for the future of the Environmental, Safety & Health sector, only time will answer that for me.

I'd say that the sector is really challenging at the moment and jobs are at a premium, that's something that really should be considered

Edited by user 07 February 2017 10:52:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Malc 61  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2017 14:23:15(UTC)
Malc 61

Dean, Age is definitely no barrier. I was nearly 51 when I moved full time into a H&S role. 53 when I did my NEBOSH certificate and 55 when I completed my NVQ.

chris42  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2017 15:58:05(UTC)
chris42

56 when I wondered WHY            [ sorry could not resist :o)     ]

No your age should not be a barrier, but you need to use your working expeience to complement your training, as of course experience is often required. Looking at the job ads the other day and things seem to be picking up I think.

Yes people are the main problem.

Best of luck

Dean m  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2017 18:23:10(UTC)
Dean m

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I will start with the NEBOSH national certificate via distance or E- learning and go from there. It's good to know I'm not to old to change careers and hopefully some of my past experiences will be of use. I am hopefully going to get involved with writing risk assessments at work, so will try to glean information from our works H&S people. Any recommendations for good course providers for the national certificate? Thanks Dean
jim4244  
#8 Posted : 08 February 2017 02:46:18(UTC)
jim4244

Hi Dean

You could check out Oracle Safety Associates who run regular 2 week intensive NEBOSH NGC courses.

http://www.oraclesafety.net/training.html

Competetively priced and a high pass mark. 

Jim