Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HP-20  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2017 12:04:59(UTC)
HP-20

Good Afternoon folks!

I am currently considering enrolling on the NCRQ lvl 6 Diploma to gain GradIosh Status.

Last year I was made redundant from the Oil and Gas industry and I have been struggling to get any work related to my qualifications ever since.

My question is simply whether or not I would be in good stead to pick up HSE work with my offshore expereince and Grad IOSH status? Offshore I worked in the exploration sector which was extremely HSE concious and I took part/lead many Tool box talks/Permit to work/Safety Meetings.

Thank you in advance for you advice! 

H

gerrysharpe  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2017 12:41:55(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Hi H,

Diploma level 6 is always a good marker to aim for, it will show potential employers your Commitment to health and Safety, so go for it!

But be sure you can get a job at the end, I've looked at a few Oil and Gas jobsites but couldn't find much, so not sure if you know something i don't??

Getting the Qualifications is easy enough, its getting the pratical experiance thats the hard part

Good luck and let us know how you progressed

fhunter  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2017 13:34:51(UTC)
fhunter

Hi,

Do you have any other Safety qualifications currently? 

I would be inclined to take a level 3 course first as a stepping stone into the diploma if you haven't already. 

As for work, that's the big if, there's plenty of work out there, parts of the construction industry sometimes do look favourably on Oil and Gas experience. I would speak to a few of the local H&S Consultancies in your area. As with all industries, there is work available but it depends what you are looking to earn? 

WatsonD  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2017 14:06:09(UTC)
WatsonD

You have worked in high risk sector which has given you a lot of exposure to H&S controls, SSW, etc., but working in H&S is a different beast altogether. However, if you want it go for it!

I would  like fhunter suggest you consider a certificate first (either NCRQ or Nebosh) as this is less ocmmitment in terms of time and money -  but will still add to your CV if you later re-tihnk your plans, circumatances change or an offer comes out-of-the-blue.

I don't know what you were earning, where you are located or what your salary expectation is, but as Gerry says experience is your biggest hurdle. Even if you jumped striaght into a diploma you will not walk into a top H&S job, so look around the lower end of the pay scaleto see whether this is something you are happy to be earning for the next few years or so as you build up your knowledge/ experience.

Good luck!!

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
gerrysharpe on 02/02/2017(UTC)
jim4244  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2017 02:40:37(UTC)
jim4244

I was under the impression that you had to be in a full time HS&E role to go down the NCRQ route?

gerrysharpe  
#6 Posted : 08 February 2017 08:27:41(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Originally Posted by: jim4244 Go to Quoted Post

I was under the impression that you had to be in a full time HS&E role to go down the NCRQ route?

Hi Jim not as far as i'm aware, take a look at this from their website

Who is it for?

The Certificate in Applied Health and Safety is suitable for you if you:

• have no safety knowledge or experience and want a good foundation in safety management
  • are working in a safety related role and want to improve your knowledge and skills, or
  • have general management responsibilities and want to be able to maintain a safe and healthy workplace.

There is also a focus on the softer skills, such as being able to justify your decisions to senior management, deal with conflict, and practical advice on how to implement change management and improve attitudes to health and safety.

The law, standards, and regulatory arrangements of the UK are an integral part of this qualification. Overseas students may wish to contact us for advice.

WatsonD  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2017 13:53:58(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: jim4244 Go to Quoted Post

Jim, I think you are you mixing it up with the NVQ?

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
gerrysharpe on 08/02/2017(UTC)