Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Monticello  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2017 13:31:19(UTC)
Monticello

Hi

Can anyone say roughly what the going rate for consutancy H&S work should be? Ive just set up plenty of work but i might be under charging. (midlands area)

Thanks in advance!

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2017 13:35:41(UTC)
peter gotch

Depends on all sorts of variables.

You don't indicate your membership level, length of experience, what sectors you are offering your services to, how much Professional Indemnity and other insurances your clients expect you to hold etc etc etc.

Monticello  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2017 15:32:06(UTC)
Monticello

Hi

Chartered IOSH member, £2 million proffesional indemnity insurance, 25 years experience, engineering, textile manufacture, warehousing, logistics, woodworking, food safety management, petro chemical distribution, some rail experience.

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2017 16:07:15(UTC)
Ian Bell2

How much do you want to earn? This question has been asked lots of times. Look at job adverts for typical h&s consultancy salaries Then add your business costs. Then back calculate a daily rate. Add any additional fee that you think you are worth for your experience. Obviously whether clients will pay this is another matter. Another guide is how much tradesmen charge you for work at your house - plumbers, electricIan's etc. I assume you at least value your job at at least the same rate.
fhunter  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2017 16:19:06(UTC)
fhunter

It's really tricky to know because there are so many dependant factors that affect cost of services for consultancy work. Having worked within a consultancy  previosuly for a few years, prices we charged was completely dependant on type of Client and contract type, the day rate varied massively.

Numberswise more recently when using outside consultants,  I have used people who charge between £35-£100 an hour depending on the task I required them for. This is based in construction though.    

The question you have to ask yourself is how much is your time worth? also what sort of Clients are you after, higher quality Client will pay more for a better service.  

hazesafety  
#6 Posted : 02 May 2017 09:53:16(UTC)
hazesafety

I've looked on Indeed recently, amongst searching for a new role it also provides a good indicator of what you should be looking for reagrding Pay. I haven't checked regarding day rating, however i'm sure it's on there with the right search criteria.

Hope this helps Baz.