Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JMS2017  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2017 21:25:53(UTC)
JMS2017

I am looking for any tips or advice on getting into a full time career in health and safety. 

I have recently completed my Nebosh NGC and awaiting confirmation of my TECH Iosh membership. I have over 10 years experience as a health and safety coordinator in Retail/Light Engineering, taking the decision last year to do my Nebosh NGC and look to make the move into Health and Safety as a full time career.

Having looked on the usual sites the majority of vacancies are predominately construction related?

Any advice/tips welcome.

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2017 08:37:42(UTC)
WatsonD

As I am sure you are aware there is no single definitive answer, so I can only offer suggestions.

Firstly, I would look to professional advice for your CV and interview skills. It doesn't matter how good you are if either of these let you down you will struggle/ They will also hlep you to tease out your transferable skills and put them on your CV, etc.  The national careers service is a FREE Government run service that provides online or face-to-face support: https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/

Then I would apply the scatter gun approach to job hunting and search far and wide. Register with all jobs site and agencies and get your CV out there.

In the meantime, look to improve your knowledge, become active with IOSH and attend meetings, etc, undertake further training to bump you up to GradIOSH status.

And good luck, changing career is not easy, but if you want it go for it!

Melrose80086  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2017 09:42:49(UTC)
Melrose80086

Hi

You might want to attend the Scotland Works event at the SEC Glasgow between 3rd - 4th May. It's a FREE event for safety / facilities management folk so will be attended by loads of different companies offering their services (and sometimes some freebies like pens and stress balls lol!). Not sure if I can post the link but if you do a quick google search, you should find information on registering. There are seminars throughout both days on a variety of topics which again are free to attend.

There are jobs out there so a case of making your CV stand out from the rest by ensuring you include safety related projects that you've been involved with, committee membersip (i.e. if you were on the H&S committee for your company) or any Safety Rep Union involvement (if applicable).

Good luck!