Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chrisjames67  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2017 10:43:54(UTC)
chrisjames67

greetings

i have decided, to improve my chances of gaining employment into OSH, to take on the Nebosh Diploma (self funding via e-learning).

but!

with some consideration i am thinking that it may be best before i take on this arduous journey to take a small diversion and do the Environmental attachment for the Nebosh NGC first.

this would have 2 advantages:-

1/ on it's own it will give me a more rounded qualification to improve my career prospects.

2/ it will get my mind back "into the groove" of sitting down and learning properly before tackling the Diploma.

i would welcome the thoughts of anyone as to whether they think this is a good move

regards

Chris

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2017 11:10:45(UTC)
WatsonD

Hi Chris,

To be prefectly honest I would just jump straight in and crack on with the Diploma as the diploma will cancel out advantage one on your list, as it is the benchmark level qualification will give you GradIOSH status and open the doors for CMIOSH.

And as you are undertaking via e-learning you can break down the qualification and focus on one unit at a time, which gives you over three months to study one unit so this will allow you to get your mind back into the groove, thus cancelling out adbvantage teo on your list.

I think your advantages listed are more stalling points. Beleive in yourself and go for it!

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
chrisjames67 on 04/04/2017(UTC)
UncleFester  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2017 11:39:40(UTC)
UncleFester

Why not consider the NCRQ Diploma? Again, self-directed learning and also gives you the route to Grad IOSH.

thanks 1 user thanked UncleFester for this useful post.
chrisjames67 on 07/04/2017(UTC)
chrisjames67  
#4 Posted : 07 April 2017 07:38:33(UTC)
chrisjames67

many thanks for both opinions

after considering my options i believe that the best route to take will be to take the diploma one section at a time. get the first section under my belt and see where i go from there.

you're correct, procrastination is almost a hobby for me lol

there is a training provider i trust, who i can sign up with to do each section separately so that i will not have to pay out the entire cost of the diploma in one go. didn't mention last time that as i am self financing the diploma is a significant hit for me so it was as much the cost as the work involved that was an issue.

once again, many thanks

Chris

Edited by user 07 April 2017 07:39:56(UTC)  | Reason: poor grammar

WatsonD  
#5 Posted : 07 April 2017 08:09:08(UTC)
WatsonD

Good luck Chris,

Please keep us posted on your progress!