Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
starler229  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2017 20:36:46(UTC)
starler229

Hi all,

Following on from successfully passing my NEBOSH diploma last May, and an in depth review and overhaul of how I did my CPD, I attended my PRI yesterday at The Grange.

The IOSH staff were very helpful from start to finish and the panel did a fantastic job by putting me at ease and allowing me to become more comfortable with the situation in front of me.

I felt the interview had gone well, but didn't want to take for granted that I had answered as required.

Today, however, I got the e-mail to say I had been successful and was now a Chartered Member.  Proud of the time, work and effort I have put in over the past few years especially, and the previous 10 or so years, is an understatement.

My advice to anybody sitting their PRI is don't overthink the process and what questions might be put to you - if you've got this far, you'll have a basic understanding of what is required and the panel members will try to draw any information you may be short from you.  Know the Code of Conduct and be able to apply real life work situations that YOU'VE (use 'I') been involved in to the questions in each section and in compliance with the CoC.

Carl

CMIOSH

thanks 4 users thanked starler229 for this useful post.
jodieclark1510 on 18/04/2017(UTC), mark Jinks on 27/04/2017(UTC), freelance safety on 11/06/2017(UTC), gerrysharpe on 25/06/2017(UTC)
WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2017 08:08:12(UTC)
WatsonD

Well done Carl!

MaxPayne  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2017 12:53:36(UTC)
MaxPayne

Thanks Carl, that's really helpfull as I will be rregistering for IPD any day now.  I'm told I just need to do the open assessment and PRI as well as the usual audit of CPD, but it's the PRI I was most anxious about.

Thanks again.

redspelly  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2017 06:43:25(UTC)
redspelly

I too had my PRI recently and to be honest, it was a really good experience. You have to prepare though and make sure you know the code of conduct as its an instant fail if you don't know it. Also make sure you can provide real life examples of the work you do and not what we do. Finally, i would advise anyone to watch the mock Staffordshire PRI which can be found on the forums - the whole set up was as it was when I did mine a couple of weeks ago.
Clark34486  
#5 Posted : 25 April 2017 09:55:09(UTC)
Clark34486

Totally enjoyed my PRI, I set myself up for a fall overthinking prior BUT I found it actually quite low level compared to what I 'do' in my professional life.

It's a good process but fundemantally the panel are just like you and I and that's the way to view it

swebster  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2017 14:17:38(UTC)
swebster

Spotted this topic while browsing and read it with interest!

I have just booked my PRI today for August at The Grange. I'm already worrying about it and haven't even seen the e-mail about what I need to do yet!!

Thanks for the tip about knowing the Code of Conduct really well and also the mock Staffordshire PRI (that's my local branch!) I'll check it out.

Shopland23872  
#7 Posted : 09 June 2017 19:20:58(UTC)
Shopland23872

There really is no need to worry about your PRI, the members of the panel are other CMIOSH or FCMIOSH members, they do not work for IOSH. The panel members genuinely want you to pass, it is not a job interview or a police interrogation. They are just like you and have sat where you are about to sit. They allow for nerves and they have supplementary questions to draw the answers out of you if you get "stage fright". They know that you are already good enough because you have made it to the PRI stage, answer the questions honestly using examples of your own work. The presentation is only ten minutes long and they time it too. Six slides is enough, anymore than that will take you over your time limit. I had eight slides and had to rush the last two. It really isn't as bad as you think, but you do need to revise the bullet points of the code of conduct. The Staffordshire Branch mock interview video is spot on and that is exactly what the PRI is like.
mark frearson  
#8 Posted : 20 June 2017 15:40:16(UTC)
mark frearson

I was surprised and somewhat caught off guard to be asked about my open book assessment and my CPD, what I had learnt from it and how I had implemented that into my daily job. I can see now that they were closing the loop with the three stages and it does make sense. Just be ready for this, along with the four pillars... 

descon297  
#9 Posted : 23 June 2017 10:17:41(UTC)
descon297

Congrats Carl,

I have just booked my PRI for August and must admit i am feeling a little nervous about the whole thing. There is some great feeback and info in here which has put my mind a little more at ease.