Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
seamussexton  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2017 08:04:28(UTC)
seamussexton

Hi all, just looking some advice on the next  qualification i should study, i currently have the following listed below, i work in the construction and engineering environment 

Level 3 NEBOSH certificate 

Level 6 certificate NCRQ 

level 6 Diploma NCRQ 

many thanks 

SHV  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2017 09:46:51(UTC)
SHV

You can have many qualifications as you wish , howere you will forget it soon if you do not use it, so check the industry that you are working and see what are the courses related to that industry  available then go for it...

SHV

thanks 1 user thanked SHV for this useful post.
seamussexton on 10/05/2017(UTC)
WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2017 08:02:52(UTC)
WatsonD

This depends greatly on what you wish to progress onto in terms of your career. If you only want to go higher than all that is really ahead of you is a MSc. However, If you arent already then H&S specific work experience is a must at this stage; quals without experience is like experience without quals - only half the solution - you really need both to compete for the roles.

If you are already in a H&S role then look at a few job sites and see what employeres are looking for in the area you want to work in. It could be fire certificate, specific memberships, or environmental, etc.

Good luck!

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Woolf13  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2017 11:50:39(UTC)
Woolf13

Hi,

If you are working in the construction/engineering sector then firming up on what experience you have picked up and undertaking the NEBOSH Construction certificate would be the most relevant choice.

However, if you are looking to branch out into another industry, like the other people have already pointed out, look into the relevant qualification for that sector e.g. NEBOSH are launching a new process safety qualification.

The best way is to match the training to the sector you are in, as it remains fresh and you can apply the knowledge to your work.

Good luck!

thanks 1 user thanked Woolf13 for this useful post.
hilary  
#5 Posted : 25 April 2017 10:50:35(UTC)
hilary

I took the L3 Award in Education and Training as the next step once I got Chartered.

It's fine for me to know what I am talking about, but the skill is in imparting this knowledge to others in a simple and effective way that they will understand.  For me, this course was absolutely invaluable in doing that.  An educated workforce in H&S is your best ally going forwards.

thanks 1 user thanked hilary for this useful post.