Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spencerwhitaker  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2017 11:49:22(UTC)
spencerwhitaker

Hi all,

I am looking for some carreer advice. I am newly qualified with the nebosh NGC. I have worked for 26 years in all types of engineering , structural steel, vehicals etc. Before that I served 6 years in the army.

I completed this course "off my own back" as I would like a change in carreer.

I have helped out at work with risk assessments and method statements and attended the tri annual safety meetings but this is rare as I work mainly on the worshop floor so i have limited experience.

Obviously I have searched the job sites ,and asked around but I am at a loss to where practically to begin seriously to look for work in this field.

Also is there any publications I should look at or sites good for information?

I am open to any type of work but like the idea of working for a consultancy, going out to clients and completeing their asssessments.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction I would be grateful

thanks

Spencer

Clark34486  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2017 13:01:19(UTC)
Clark34486

I was in a similar situation (ex RN) then into construction (electrical)

I chose the sector I was experienced in, wrote hundreds of letters enclosing a CV and a covering letter, I then put it to the back of my mind and within 9 mths I received a call inviting me to an interview

WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 17 March 2017 10:45:01(UTC)
WatsonD

Hi Spencer,

You don't seem to have had much response on here, which I suspect is due to the fact that there is no easy right and wrong answer. I would focus your search on the engineering sector where your previous experience is vital to your .

What you have gained with the NGC is a good level of knowledge of the subject. I would look to becoming a member of IOSH (though there are others available, such as iirsm) as I personally feel this will give credence to your ambitions. It also give you the opportunity to attend local networking events run by IOSH.

You will also note that the levels of membership allude to the fact that you could do well to advance on the foundations that you have built from the NGC. In which case: BSc, MSc, Nebosh Diploma, BSC Diploma and NCRQ are some of the options available to you.

As for practical experience, keep checking the online job sites and look at voluntering opportunities, both schools and local charities could be avenues to explore. This is the hardest part of all, and advice on this the most difficult to give. I can only suggest the scattergun approach: you are bound to hit something sooner or later. Talk to everyone you can. You never know when the right person might be listening.

Good luck to you!

Edited by user 10 May 2017 07:38:07(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling mistake

darryl.morgan  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2017 13:54:53(UTC)
darryl.morgan

What area are you in Spencer?

spencerwhitaker  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2017 18:23:55(UTC)
spencerwhitaker

Im in Norfolk (south). 

Shopland23872  
#6 Posted : 09 May 2017 18:53:19(UTC)
Shopland23872

The above answer by WatsonD is excellent advice which you would be well advised to follow . There is also another possible option open to you and that is to look for a health and safety co-ordinator or administrator role, that is a really good way to get a foot in the door and work your way up from there you would learn a hell of a lot very quickly in a role like that which gives you a stepping stone, we all had to start somewhere . Alot of us (me included) probably started our careers completely by accident, I know that I did.
thanks 1 user thanked Shopland23872 for this useful post.
WatsonD on 10/05/2017(UTC)