Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bigjohn  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2017 10:13:34(UTC)
Bigjohn

Hey all i have to give a 5 minute presentation on "The Challenges and Opportunities of a HSEQ Lead "  I have a some ideas already but wondered if anyone had done something similar and could give any pointers.

Thinking of no more than 5 slides and talking about culture ect.

thank you

stuie  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2017 19:30:40(UTC)
stuie

One minute per slide is not much to be honest. 2 slides may be better?

Changing hearts and minds, demystifying safety, owenership and engagement, getting things done effectively, practical advice, leading by example, engaging senior management, saving money, 

Edited by user 15 May 2017 19:31:32(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

thanks 1 user thanked stuie for this useful post.
Bigjohn on 16/05/2017(UTC)
WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2017 07:46:10(UTC)
WatsonD

If I were you I would focus on what you want to say at this stage and worry about slide count later. 5 minutes is not a lot of time so you will not be able to give much depth to lots of subjects. Maybe write down all your ideas in full in a free flow writing exercise and then put this by for a while. When you come bakc to it read through and create a summary of this. This summary could be the basis of your presentation. Once you have got this down, then look at how best to illustrate this through slides. This is where you can really refne your speech.

If it is a job you really want, then it is worth as much time as you can spare to get it.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2017 08:52:06(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Interviews are always a gamble in that you are trying to second guess what THEY want.

They may want the normal boring thing- a slide showing PLAN-DO-CHECK-ACT, another (with bullet points) showing the 5 steps to risk assessment, another with the  safety curve etc.

Or you could go for broke: NO Slides- its only 5 minutes.  Say something about Health and Safety Leadership and how you think you can engage with the company’s employees.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
hopeful  
#5 Posted : 16 May 2017 11:32:56(UTC)
hopeful

As others have said 5 minutes is not much time but can feel like an age. Try to do something different so you stand out. Rather than slides what about one slide/page which visually depicts that challenges and some solutions. When I interviewed a number of people the power point presentations were not the ones that engaged me or interested me - stand out with something left field or different. I think if they have asked for a presentation they would expect something to see etc.

thanks 1 user thanked hopeful for this useful post.
Bigjohn  
#6 Posted : 16 May 2017 15:00:09(UTC)
Bigjohn

Dear all, thank you for your advice, some really good ideas which i have taken on board.  I am going with a 1 page power point presentation and will talk around it.  Nearly didnt go for any pages but feel that some people like to visualise information as well as hearing it.