Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Barrett30937  
#1 Posted : 22 May 2017 15:29:08(UTC)
Barrett30937

A Monday afternoon question.

I am working with a client that has aids and adaptations installed by a third party and we are trying to establish if items such as metal disability access ramps should be subject to some form of planned preventative maintenance / inspection regime.

So like LOLER you would expect a chair lift to be inspected every 6 months, should an access ramp be subject to an inspection and if so how frequently.

Yes I can basis it on a risk assessment, but am struggling to find any specific legislation or best working practices that would assist to provide information to justify the recommendation to the client.    My gut feeling is yes and a round 3 – 5 years feels about right. Going to have a look at the DDA Reg's

So does anyone inspect ramps for example, but it could be any aid or adaptation you fit from mop stick handrails to handles in the bathroom, if so what is the rational for the decision, what specification do you use and what is the frequency period.

All help as always appreciated.

Alastair 

grim72  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2017 07:34:56(UTC)
grim72

I'd suggest that if the ramps are being used for work then they would fall under PUWER and as such should be inspected at regular intervals. You've answered your own question in terms of frequency of inspection as it will come down to risk assessement - eg complexity of the ramp (is it mechanical or simply a plastic ramp), what kind of height is it used at (how great a risk to an individual if something did go wrong with it), how often is it used, by how many people etc etc. All of which could see you decide a weekly/daily/monthly/annual inspection would be suitable, only you can decide I suspect. If it is just a basic ramp that gets pulled out for use once in a blue moon then a pre-use visual check should suffice - just make a list of what to look for in terms of faults/deterioration/grip etc?

RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2017 07:37:48(UTC)
RayRapp

The simple answer no, once installed by contractors it is not normally inspected thereafter e.g. access ramps, grab handles, etc. According to our A&A Manager, the resources required to go round properties checking on the condition makes it impractical. These are fixed installations which should not significantly deteriorate over time, of course, they might depending on frequency of use. There is nothing to prevent the home owner arranging their own checks if they wish. 

Steve e ashton  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2017 09:19:43(UTC)
Steve e ashton

If the steel structures are outdoors then I would be treating them in the same way as external metal fire escapes... Annual inspection, five yearly examination and repainting... But if galvanised, may omit the painting...
boblewis  
#5 Posted : 23 May 2017 09:52:43(UTC)
boblewis

DDA has been replaced by Equality Act 2010 and provides no real assistance here.  The building regs approved documents do provide some technical specification.  I would go down the Workplace inspection route with regular weekly/periodic checks for general condition and more technical inspections with timings around 3-5 years as you state.

thanks 1 user thanked boblewis for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 23/05/2017(UTC)