Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
maiuk  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2017 13:41:14(UTC)
maiuk

I am a NEBOSH equivalent diploma profesional which would like to work in UK. The issue is that I got my diploma in another country and I think that this can give me some trouble in order to find a job here. Which is your advice? I would´t mind to make a refresh course or something like that. I used to work as Health and Safety Officer and coordinator in Spain. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

AlB  
#2 Posted : 26 May 2017 15:48:23(UTC)
AlB

Originally Posted by: maiuk Go to Quoted Post

I am a NEBOSH equivalent diploma profesional which would like to work in UK. The issue is that I got my diploma in another country and I think that this can give me some trouble in order to find a job here. Which is your advice? I would´t mind to make a refresh course or something like that. I used to work as Health and Safety Officer and coordinator in Spain. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

The answer seems quite obvious to be honest. You need to have an understanding of local H&S laws. I don't know how you expect to get a role within UK safety without knowledge of local legislation. 

I would say do another safety diploma...       but one applicable to the UK. Maybe even look at international NEBOSH courses

maiuk  
#3 Posted : 26 May 2017 18:58:15(UTC)
maiuk

Thanks!!! Of course I studied about all H&S english regulations. It is the more sensible thing to do if you want to work in another country, but it looks like companies don´t feel confident with NEBOSH equivalent acreditation. I would like to know if somebody have had this problem and how to solve it

lorna  
#4 Posted : 30 May 2017 07:10:21(UTC)
lorna

I'd suggest a quick phone call or e-mail to IOSH to see what level your current qualification is in comparison to a UK diploma and then ask them for advice. 

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2017 12:07:52(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Maiuk

Lorna'a advice is sound if you are yet to join IOSH.

You've done your homework, but in practice with the exception of the overarching Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, most legislation in Great Britain (and separately, Northern Ireland) is going to be similar to that in Spain, with the same Directives applying throughout Europe (at least until Brexit).

We've got a French citizen in our team. Well versed in UK requirements and gave us the opportunity to audit the French subsidiary of a UK train operating company as she could conduct the audit in fluent French.

Good luck, Peter