Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LeanneD  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2017 12:33:08(UTC)
LeanneD

Hi guys!

I am fairly new to the world of H&S, having worked in the H&S department for 18 months.   I completed my NEBOSH Certificate last year and am currently AIOSH.

I am keen to develop myself and have seen a role advertised locally for a volunteer H&S advisor and just wondered what the benefits and draw backs of such a thing might be? 

It would allow me to develop knowledge and experience in another sector to the one i currently work in, giving me the need to gen up on rather different regulations to the DSE and Welfare ones that seem to dominate my life right now, however i wonder if i am trying to run before i can even crawl as at times i still feel like a total newbie to the industry (and i guess relatively speaking i am!).

Any views?

Edited by user 18 July 2017 14:18:56(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

jwk  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2017 14:05:05(UTC)
jwk

Hi Leanne,

It depends on the scope of the role I guess. When we ask people to volunteer we provide them with a role spec, a volunteer agreement and opportunities to learn about us and our work. So what we offer is structure and support. The downside is that there is no pay, though reasonable expenses are met. If the volunteering role doesn't have structure, doesn't have clear aims and objectives, and doesn't offer support then it may be mostly downside. It really is down to the particulars of a a given environment,

John

LeanneD  
#3 Posted : 18 July 2017 14:23:07(UTC)
LeanneD

Thanks jwk.

This role would be in addition to my current H&S role so the no pay thing is not an issue really.  As far as the structure, i am not too sure on that one.  Will go back and have a look a the advert.

I just wondered if it would be a good step for me in terms of CPD (i know i don't have to worry about that right now but am hoping to move to TechIOSH, well i have to as part of my job role, as soon as possible.

lorna  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2017 10:18:17(UTC)
lorna

Having been approached by a few organisations wanting me to volunteer, I'd have 2 tips;

- are they looking for H&S advice on 'the cheap'? They can afford to pay a wage but want to save money by getting somebody to do it for free/

- are you insured to give advice? I, personally, wouldn't give detailed advice without professional indemnity insurance. (I don't mind pointing my neighbour - builder - in the right direction but I won't write his risk assessments for him...)

LeanneD  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2017 10:58:49(UTC)
LeanneD

Originally Posted by: lorna Go to Quoted Post

Having been approached by a few organisations wanting me to volunteer, I'd have 2 tips;

- are they looking for H&S advice on 'the cheap'? They can afford to pay a wage but want to save money by getting somebody to do it for free/

- are you insured to give advice? I, personally, wouldn't give detailed advice without professional indemnity insurance. (I don't mind pointing my neighbour - builder - in the right direction but I won't write his risk assessments for him...)

Hi Lorna

Good points raised.  The organisation involved is a large national charity so i guess they perhaps do have money to pay but prhaps want to reduce their staffing costs to better use any donations?

As far as insurances are concerned i wonder if the fact that it is an 'official volunteer' role means i would be ok?  It's not a case of asking me in the street for advice but is a role within their organisation and they are asking for certain qualifications to be eligible for the role.

To be honest i am not sure that i have the time personally to do it and i would have to approach my current employer to make sure there are no conflict of interest issues.  Perhaps it is more suite to a retired H&S person.

Leanne

watcher  
#6 Posted : 19 July 2017 12:28:46(UTC)
watcher

On the positive side, it would be great for your CPD and would possibly open you up to activities and areas that you would not otherwise have access to

On the negative side, I would be wary about whether this would be a supporting or supported role, or if you would be THE H & S Adviser in the organisation.  Personally, if I had a Nebosh certificate, I would not feel competent in this role. 

lorna  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2017 10:48:16(UTC)
lorna

Hi Leanne

Don't assume that charities have no money! I worked for a big national and my salary was higher than I'd been paid for years (both local govt & private sector). There was plenty of money....the Chief Exec was very well paid.

I have given advice to smaller charities - but I was self-employed at the time (so had my own insurance) & I'm CMIOSH so I felt pretty confident in that setting.

Edited by user 20 July 2017 10:49:24(UTC)  | Reason: typo

jwk  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2017 13:11:15(UTC)
jwk

Originally Posted by: lorna Go to Quoted Post

Hi Leanne

Don't assume that charities have no money! I worked for a big national and my salary was higher than I'd been paid for years (both local govt & private sector). There was plenty of money....the Chief Exec was very well paid.

I have given advice to smaller charities - but I was self-employed at the time (so had my own insurance) & I'm CMIOSH so I felt pretty confident in that setting.

The fact that big charities can indeed have money doesn't stop them wanting to spend the bulk of it on charitable activities...

Leanne, if you volunteer for a charity that regularly uses volunteers you should be EL/PI insurances just as you would if you were working for them. All of our 20,000 volunteers certainly are,

John