Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gpevans  
#1 Posted : 14 August 2017 12:57:58(UTC)
gpevans

Hi All,

I am currently working with a client over their portfolio of assets. As a whole, the amount of work (either R&M or general construction works) is pretty high each month and they are very good at recording data to the point where I believe the amount of reported to represent a true reflection of the business.  I'm looking at their data over the short amount of time I’ve been working with them and generally have noticed that their biggest issue is around housekeeping, either near miss, general hazards or accidents and incident that have occurred. To the point where i think it is alarmingly high. You know the sort of little silly mistakes which result in loss time which are usually under reported. 

I understand that this is predominantly a behaviour issue across the board and generally, the board are not aware of the details and before I present the report I need a plan to mitigate this. Other than the usual, TBT's Safety bulletins, add into the induction process etc. Does anyone have any successes through something outside the typical that has worked well for them?

I have the typical TBT's and bulletins written up ready to go, but i don't want to create another tick box exercise where they believe a quick chat about it will solve the issue. 

If anyone has anything they could share in terms of advice, around this that has worked well for them in the past, I would be very greatful. 

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 15 August 2017 07:47:05(UTC)
Hsquared14

Is there anything within the wider heading of housekeeping that stands out as a particular problem?  I have found that general appeals regarding "housekeeping" fail because a bit like telling a child to behave themselves the workers don't really understand what this actually means.  I would focus on one factor at a time like broken pallets, rubbish or poorly stacked materials.  Use before and after pictures work really well too.  Good luck

RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 15 August 2017 08:32:23(UTC)
RayRapp

It is my view that in order to tackle these types of issues you need to get on board the relevant supervisors/managers who should be made aware and take responsibility for the issues in their area - that's their job. 

There is little point on focusing on the workforce until those in charge address these issues and cascade the information down to the shop floor.  As a H&S person your role is primarly to monitor trends, provide advice and support to supervisors/managers in order they can take the appropriate action. 

jwk  
#4 Posted : 18 August 2017 13:43:03(UTC)
jwk

Have to agree with Ray. We recently ran a short campaign in our charity retail chain, the strapline was 'Don't walk past' and it was aimed at line managers and their managers. We did use bulletins, posters, TBTs (or equivalent) but the focus was not on the workers, but on those who need to pay attention,

John

Stern  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2017 11:52:09(UTC)
Stern

Hi gpevens,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "housekeeping" as that is a very broad term in construction (could refer to trailing leads, waste, poorly stored materials & equipment etc...) What i can say is that from experience most housekeeping issues i encounter on site are more to do with a lack of planning and/or provision of appropriate equipment than behavioural issues with the guys doing the work:

"Why is this area so messy?"

"Becuase the nearest bin is in the next building"

"Why are these leads trailling across the floor?"

"Becuase we've got no hooks to lift them off the floor."

"Why is this container a mess?"

"Because we were given no racking"

What i've found over the years is that as long as you provide the means for people to keep their workplace clean, the majority willl happily do so without too much input from the likes of us. Unfortunately though, with the pace of many construction jobs nowadays, if there's not a bin nearby then many of these will still resort to kicking their rubbish into the corner than walking X number of metres to dispose of it properly

To be honest though, i can understand why they do this. If i had to get up from my desk and walk up to the next floor every time i needed to use a bin, that would soon become very annoying. Now imagine how annoying that would be if you are working to a price and being paid by the metre. No amount of toolbox talks, posters or bulletins would change my attitude if putting rubbish in a bin was costing me my wages. 

For me, ensuring that there are a sufficent quantity of bins (or racks, or cable tidies...) in the first place would be a far better use of time and resource and would result in a much better "buy-in" from the guys doing the work. 

Edited by user 23 August 2017 11:54:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Stern for this useful post.
GHughes1980 on 30/08/2017(UTC)