Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ChloeH96  
#1 Posted : 27 August 2017 12:14:48(UTC)
ChloeH96

I am currently a 20 year old university student studying Public Health Nutrition and stumbled across health and safety when I decided that I wanted a change in career path. I have been offered a place on a masters course next year to study Occupational Health, Safety and Wellbeing, therefore I decided to undertake my NEBOSH general certificate so that I could gauge wether I enjoyed health and safety or not and so far I LOVE it ! I have been looking in to becoming a HSE inspector as they offer a traineeship once I complete my degree with a 2:1, but I am unsure if I should complete my masters first. If anyone is willing to offer me any advice it would be greatly appreciated, I have already planned work experience with the fire service and also a local refinary. I am aware that the traineeship involves completing the nebosh diploma also which I believe will be extremely beneficial for a career in health and safety.
Bigmac1  
#2 Posted : 27 August 2017 15:44:53(UTC)
Bigmac1

Chloe. Firstly welcome to Health and Safety.

I am doing my MSc now but the acceptance criteria was NEBOSH Diploma asa minimum, so you have done well to be accepted on the course. I would say that the NEBOSH Cert is not enough detail as far as H&S knowledge is concerned to be able to do your dissertation. You would also need access to workplaces. Just be careful before you set out.

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
ChloeH96 on 27/08/2017(UTC)
ChloeH96  
#3 Posted : 27 August 2017 15:54:08(UTC)
ChloeH96

Thank you for the advice, I have been advised by the course leader that the general certificate should be significant enough for me to be able to complete the masters easily as I will have already completed my Bsc. I will be then hopefully complete my diploma through the HSE after my Msc is complete. I have hopefully secured 2 placements with companies to gain experience as I will not be starting the Msc until next September 2018. Do you have any advise on the Msc? Where are you studying?
JayPownall  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2017 20:15:58(UTC)
JayPownall

I completed my MSc in Safety straight after my BSc in Biomedicine - no NEBOSH required. In hindsight it might have been worth doing the Cert like yourself, but upon reflection of my career to date, I wouldn't say it's critical. Having taken a similar route, feel free to PM me with any specific queries. Jamie
Bigmac1  
#5 Posted : 28 August 2017 09:32:36(UTC)
Bigmac1

Originally Posted by: ChloeH96 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for the advice, I have been advised by the course leader that the general certificate should be significant enough for me to be able to complete the masters easily as I will have already completed my Bsc. I will be then hopefully complete my diploma through the HSE after my Msc is complete. I have hopefully secured 2 placements with companies to gain experience as I will not be starting the Msc until next September 2018. Do you have any advise on the Msc? Where are you studying?

I am studying at Hull. What I would find difficult, without a workplace would be the essays on "For a company of your choice" As Jamie has alluded to through his experience Diploma is not essential but boy would it help. I just feel your doing them in the wrong order, the MSc would then be a higher qualification so if I were you I would then just do an NVQ when you find employment.

Gary

ChloeH96  
#6 Posted : 28 August 2017 09:41:32(UTC)
ChloeH96

I completely understand what you mean, I have thought about waiting and then going back to do the masters but worry il never get the chance to go back :/. If I do the traineeship with the HSE it's paid and you work for them whilst doing the diploma, so I worry I won't get the opportunity then to do my Msc. I would be doing the Msc in Cardiff metropolitan university , I imagine it's similar to your own in hull, I'm looking to get a part time job whilst doing the Msc to help me get more experience.
ScottRoberts1995  
#7 Posted : 31 August 2017 15:28:08(UTC)
ScottRoberts1995

Being a similar age i'd say the traineeship would offer you more certainly in the way of experience. Even if that doesn't come through the general cert is enough to get into a health and safety role to build experience. In terms of the MSc this can be done part time also so is something which you could be able to do in the future whilst working. This is the route which I have taken and will be starting the MSc part time in USW this september while working full time.

ChloeH96  
#8 Posted : 31 August 2017 17:20:29(UTC)
ChloeH96

Scott do you mind me asking what you've done? Have you completed a diploma? Or just the general certificarte? GoodlucI in September, I wont be starting for another year because I need to finish my degree now. I think I will probably do my Msc full time and then on my days off do work experience and placements. Did you get a job with your GC?
Philip Nightingale  
#9 Posted : 01 September 2017 14:31:14(UTC)
Philip Nightingale

http://www.hse.gov.uk/events/b4-trainee.htm

Dont know if this is any use to you chloe96 :)

thanks 1 user thanked Philip Nightingale for this useful post.
ChloeH96 on 01/09/2017(UTC)
Bigmac1  
#10 Posted : 03 September 2017 09:08:04(UTC)
Bigmac1

Chloe

Sounds like you have a plan and have made your mind up.

Build as many contacts as you can and get out there even if its working for nothing, just to get the experience under your belt.

Gary

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
ChloeH96 on 19/09/2017(UTC)
Daniels36075  
#11 Posted : 19 September 2017 13:42:14(UTC)
Daniels36075

Chloe

If you send me a message, I have a possible opportunity depending upon location.