Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jomorrissey85  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2017 12:41:19(UTC)
jomorrissey85

Hi Everyone

I am struggling to find any providers of maternity work wear that offer HiViz in the UK

Has any one got any ideas where I could source some maternity HiViz Trousers from?

Any help will be appreciated 

Thanks

Josie

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2017 19:19:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2017/07/07/bam-nuttall-to-provide-site-gear-for-women-that-fits/

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2016/04/06/hi-vis-site-clothing-range-launched-for-women/

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2015/12/10/tfl-launches-safety-clothing-range-for-women/

Not sure if these "new" offerings address maternity wear as they are construction focused - presume only trousers as you would just purchase oversize coat/vest

Are trousers are true RA based necessity or just OTT approach? - you did not mention the industry

Edited by user 29 August 2017 19:23:35(UTC)  | Reason: Why trousers

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
jomorrissey85 on 04/09/2017(UTC), jomorrissey85 on 04/09/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 29 August 2017 19:19:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2017/07/07/bam-nuttall-to-provide-site-gear-for-women-that-fits/

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2016/04/06/hi-vis-site-clothing-range-launched-for-women/

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2015/12/10/tfl-launches-safety-clothing-range-for-women/

Not sure if these "new" offerings address maternity wear as they are construction focused - presume only trousers as you would just purchase oversize coat/vest

Are trousers are true RA based necessity or just OTT approach? - you did not mention the industry

Edited by user 29 August 2017 19:23:35(UTC)  | Reason: Why trousers

Stern  
#4 Posted : 31 August 2017 09:55:46(UTC)
Stern

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Pretty much what i was going to say. The only industry i can think of where hi-vis trousers are essential would be roadworkers (and, without wanting to sound sexist, i've never come across a female road worker!) Are they really necessary?

thanks 1 user thanked Stern for this useful post.
jomorrissey85 on 04/09/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 31 August 2017 10:13:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

Rail, ships, chemicals

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 31 August 2017 10:13:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

Rail, ships, chemicals

Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 31 August 2017 12:07:02(UTC)
Hsquared14

To be honest any post on this sort of topic is likely to hit a sore nerve with someone somewhere.  Sadly women are not well catered for in the world of protective clothing and workwear and just buying a mans' size doesn't work unless you are handy with a needle and thread and can alter it to fit otherwise it can be positively dangerous.  In the past I have cut up to 7 inches off sleeves and legs and on one occasion, when I needed hi-vis trousers but could only get men's ones I sacrificed an old pair of jeans  and separated the legs from the men's trousers and married the body of my jeans to the hi-vis legs.  Where workwear and PPE is available in women's sizes it tends to be SMALL women's sizes guess what I'm big - no I'm FAT and need bigger sizes anyway.  Added to this is the fact that there is no standardisation in clothing sizes and you have a recipe for some very dissatisfied people. Finding maternity workwear is not going to happen any day soon because there is no real demand for it.  I'm 58, female, Fat and a Feminist these are the facts of life.  If someone is so far along in a pregnancy as to need maternity wear and if this needed to offer a significant level of protection, I would be looking at the expectant mother's risk assessment very carefully to be sure that this working environment was appropriate for this individual.

thanks 6 users thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
lorna on 01/09/2017(UTC), jomorrissey85 on 04/09/2017(UTC), jonc on 11/09/2017(UTC), CptBeaky on 08/03/2019(UTC), SJP on 11/03/2019(UTC), alexfairclough on 15/04/2019(UTC)
Stern  
#8 Posted : 31 August 2017 14:54:44(UTC)
Stern

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Rail, ships, chemicals

I stand corrected! Have done some rail work in the past as well! Have also thought maybe aviation too (ie working airside around planes)

Stern  
#9 Posted : 31 August 2017 15:09:01(UTC)
Stern

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

To be honest any post on this sort of topic is likely to hit a sore nerve with someone somewhere.  Sadly women are not well catered for in the world of protective clothing and workwear and just buying a mans' size doesn't work unless you are handy with a needle and thread and can alter it to fit otherwise it can be positively dangerous.  In the past I have cut up to 7 inches off sleeves and legs and on one occasion, when I needed hi-vis trousers but could only get men's ones I sacrificed an old pair of jeans  and separated the legs from the men's trousers and married the body of my jeans to the hi-vis legs.  Where workwear and PPE is available in women's sizes it tends to be SMALL women's sizes guess what I'm big - no I'm FAT and need bigger sizes anyway.  Added to this is the fact that there is no standardisation in clothing sizes and you have a recipe for some very dissatisfied people. Finding maternity workwear is not going to happen any day soon because there is no real demand for it.  I'm 58, female, Fat and a Feminist these are the facts of life.  If someone is so far along in a pregnancy as to need maternity wear and if this needed to offer a significant level of protection, I would be looking at the expectant mother's risk assessment very carefully to be sure that this working environment was appropriate for this individual.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The underlying issue is that women tend to massively under-represented in the kinds of industries where high-visibility clothing is required. The economy is built around supply and demand and if there's no real demand for female-specific, let alone maternity-specific, PPE and clothing then this will continue to be an issue.

jomorrissey85  
#10 Posted : 31 August 2017 21:54:04(UTC)
jomorrissey85

Hi all I am a female myself in the cement industry (EHS MANAGER /Process engineer of 14yrs) My colleague who is pregnant requires hiviz overalls that will not hurt or itch her bump. It's mandatory requirement to wear hiviz it's a JFDI job. So, I wasn't trying to spark a debate .... just was wondering if anyone has Come across any maternity hiviz. I have since found an Australian company who do provide hiviz which is brilliant. https://shes-empowered.com/ Would be great if a UK market such as Arco could supply But as we know it's about supply and demand and... the demand simply isn't there. Hopefully this link will help others. Jo
Hsquared14  
#11 Posted : 01 September 2017 07:29:08(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: jomorrissey85 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all I am a female myself in the cement industry (EHS MANAGER /Process engineer of 14yrs) My colleague who is pregnant requires hiviz overalls that will not hurt or itch her bump. It's mandatory requirement to wear hiviz it's a JFDI job. So, I wasn't trying to spark a debate .... just was wondering if anyone has Come across any maternity hiviz. I have since found an Australian company who do provide hiviz which is brilliant. https://shes-empowered.com/ Would be great if a UK market such as Arco could supply But as we know it's about supply and demand and... the demand simply isn't there. Hopefully this link will help others. Jo

Jo - don't worry, you were bound to spark a debate and there is nothing wrong in that - its a debate that needs to be had!  Thank you for sharing that link, I'm going to check it our asap as I have female staff working in a warehouse environment and they need comfortable workwear too.

Sadly nothing in my size!!! 

Edited by user 01 September 2017 07:32:38(UTC)  | Reason: Update

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 01 September 2017 08:00:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

When is Hi-Vis not "Hi-Vis"? In the UK when it does not comply with the requirements of the PPE Directive

It is good some enlightened market is trying to address the requirements for all workers but a look at the web site and there is no referemce to the standard these products meet - it is only recently a certain dsicount retailer was forced to withdraw vests claiming to be Hi-Vis from sale due to their failing to meet the appropriate European standard despite looking the part.

Roundtuit  
#13 Posted : 01 September 2017 08:00:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

When is Hi-Vis not "Hi-Vis"? In the UK when it does not comply with the requirements of the PPE Directive

It is good some enlightened market is trying to address the requirements for all workers but a look at the web site and there is no referemce to the standard these products meet - it is only recently a certain dsicount retailer was forced to withdraw vests claiming to be Hi-Vis from sale due to their failing to meet the appropriate European standard despite looking the part.

Hsquared14  
#14 Posted : 01 September 2017 08:46:43(UTC)
Hsquared14

I understand Roundtuit's concerns but lets be a bit pragmatic here - the choice is nothing at all or something that doesn't declare that it complies with (may not quite meet) the UK standards.  Surely something is better than nothing? 

thanks 2 users thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
jomorrissey85 on 04/09/2017(UTC), jonc on 11/09/2017(UTC)
lorna  
#15 Posted : 01 September 2017 10:32:16(UTC)
lorna

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

I'm in a similar situation - if it fits my bust, it's too flappy elsewhere & basically if the wind got up, I could probably fly in my waterproofs... & don't mention the 'doughnuts' from rolling up trousers & sleeves (why do manufacturers assume that big people are also very tall?!)  Luckliy I'm a dab hand with a sewing machine but that only works for my own kit, not borrowed.

It really is time that manufacturers & suppliers woke up & provided kit for the other half of the working population..

thanks 3 users thanked lorna for this useful post.
jodieclark1510 on 01/09/2017(UTC), jomorrissey85 on 04/09/2017(UTC), jonc on 11/09/2017(UTC)
Cheeky Me  
#16 Posted : 05 September 2017 12:45:48(UTC)
Cheeky Me

Totally get where you're all coming from ladies - my job requires me to wear fire proof anti-static overalls when im on sites and being pint sized (size 6) i struggle massively to get hold of these.  To add insult to injury the supplier we found charges double the cost for female sizes than they do for mens sizes, even though only half the material is needed for my size.  Typical    

thanks 1 user thanked Cheeky Me for this useful post.
jonc on 11/09/2017(UTC)
O'Donnell54548  
#17 Posted : 06 September 2017 07:46:41(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Just to say I have seen many female road workers, refuse collectors, digger drivers etc so I am not sure why they are such a rare sight for some forum users. On another note however, how does the comments about specific needs of female wearers of PPE fit in with the process now of changing over to non-gender specific uniforms and clothing?

thanks 2 users thanked O'Donnell54548 for this useful post.
jonc on 11/09/2017(UTC), jomorrissey85 on 08/03/2019(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#18 Posted : 06 September 2017 08:01:20(UTC)
Hsquared14

Essentially O'Donnell it means that everyone will be going around in ill-fitting, uncomfortable clothing that is too tight in some places and too loose in others.  It will be the worst of all possible worlds!

Stern  
#19 Posted : 06 September 2017 15:25:24(UTC)
Stern

Originally Posted by: O'Donnell54548 Go to Quoted Post

Just to say I have seen many female road workers, refuse collectors, digger drivers etc so I am not sure why they are such a rare sight for some forum users. On another note however, how does the comments about specific needs of female wearers of PPE fit in with the process now of changing over to non-gender specific uniforms and clothing?

They are "such a rare sight" becuase that's exactly what they are; a rare sight.

I visit at least one construction site a day, often more and have done pretty much every day for the past 10+ years and it is extremely rare to see females on site (not counting those in managerial positions - PMs, surveyors etc, and even then they are still vastly outnumbered by men). Off the top of my head i would comfortably say that less than 1% of the people i encounter actually working out on site (electricians, plumbers, plasterers, painters, scaffolders etc etc) are female. 

In response to your other comments, i'm in my mid 30's, have lived in various parts of the UK and i've never seen a female refuse collector. I drive 3,000 to 4,000 miles a month all over the UK and have never seen a female road worker. And whilst i've read articles about female excavtor operators, i've never personally encountered one.

That said, there does seem to have been a gradual increase in females working actually "out on site" in construction of the past decade or so and I for one welcome this but they are still massively under-represented in construction and other similar industries and until this changes, there will continue to be issues with PPE and such like. 

Roundtuit  
#20 Posted : 06 October 2017 07:38:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

Apparently Thames Tidleway also struggled with this problem, and made a solution

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2017/10/06/thames-tideway-worker-designs-burka-friendly-safety-wear/

jomorrissey85 on 08/03/2019(UTC), jomorrissey85 on 08/03/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#21 Posted : 06 October 2017 07:38:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

Apparently Thames Tidleway also struggled with this problem, and made a solution

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2017/10/06/thames-tideway-worker-designs-burka-friendly-safety-wear/

jomorrissey85 on 08/03/2019(UTC), jomorrissey85 on 08/03/2019(UTC)
jomorrissey85  
#22 Posted : 08 March 2019 13:34:13(UTC)
jomorrissey85

Dear All, I wanted to update you as I have been working really hard to find some maternity garments for my fellow co-workers who require PPE

Leo Workwear  have now got a selection of garments that meet the Standard:  ISO 20471 CLASS 2 Railway Standard:  Rail Industry Standard RIS-3279-TOM (GO/RT 3279)

Comes in Orange and Yellow and the sizes are very accurate.

These are avaliable via BK safetywear and Arco 

Thought it would be good to share as I cant be the only safety person with this struggle - I am also discussing the option of long sleeves as we have other requirements but this is a fantastic step forward for Inclusion 

https://www.bksafetywear.co.uk/leo-workwear-cm01-o-verity-ladies-maternity-polocotton-cargo-hi-vis-trouser-orange.htm​​​​​​​

thanks 2 users thanked jomorrissey85 for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 08/03/2019(UTC), SJP on 11/03/2019(UTC)
peter gotch  
#23 Posted : 10 March 2019 12:44:19(UTC)
peter gotch

Well done, Jo!