Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RiskAss  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2017 13:46:42(UTC)
RiskAss

Hi, new member here as of today although I did previously read the study forums while I was studying for my NEBOSH general certificate.

About me: Have worked 9 years as 'technical administrator' in the small operations department of a food import and distribition company. Then, in May, the company started restructuring and the H&S Manager was made redundant. H&S responsibility was then put under my dept. and my manager asked me to study and pass the general certificate asap so that I could act as the company's H&S advisor as part of my wider job. I took a two-week course in June, the exams in July, and received my pass results this month. Along the way was a lot of stress and frustration but that is another story.

Yesterday I was told to think of a new job title as 'technical admistrator' will not carry enough clout if I have to meet with outside bodies such as local council inspectors, etc. I am fine with this but for personal reasons I would prefer a job title that implies I advise on H&S rather than directly states 'Health & Safety Advisor'. Plus, since H&S is an add-on to my existing role, it would not be completely accurate.

To be honest I cannot think of any alternatives and will probably have to go with Health & Safety Advisor in one form of another, but thought that people here may have other suggestions. So if you have any, please fire away, I would be grateful to hear them.

O'Donnell54548  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2017 19:33:39(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Occupational Wellbeing Advisor. Safety Technical Administrator. Workforce Advisor/Administrator. Workplace Wellbeing Officer. Occupational Wellness Representative. Risk Advisor.
thanks 1 user thanked O'Donnell54548 for this useful post.
RiskAss on 03/10/2017(UTC)
johnc  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2017 22:09:48(UTC)
johnc

Physical Risk Advisor
thanks 1 user thanked johnc for this useful post.
SHV  
#4 Posted : 01 October 2017 09:07:40(UTC)
SHV

Health and Safety Technical Assistant 

thanks 1 user thanked SHV for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2017 07:34:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

If your role is to advise the business why would you be meeting with external bodies?

Surely that is the duty of the senior management team - after all they are responsible, accountable and in a position to direct the business/allocate resource sign the H&S Policy etc.

Gravitas of a position (title) and its soft value never appear when business decisions are led by numbers on a cost spreadsheet

As to your post:

Compliance Advisor - to make it a bit grander you could prefix with some alternatives such as Business or Regulatory

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
RiskAss on 03/10/2017(UTC), RiskAss on 03/10/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 02 October 2017 07:34:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

If your role is to advise the business why would you be meeting with external bodies?

Surely that is the duty of the senior management team - after all they are responsible, accountable and in a position to direct the business/allocate resource sign the H&S Policy etc.

Gravitas of a position (title) and its soft value never appear when business decisions are led by numbers on a cost spreadsheet

As to your post:

Compliance Advisor - to make it a bit grander you could prefix with some alternatives such as Business or Regulatory

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
RiskAss on 03/10/2017(UTC), RiskAss on 03/10/2017(UTC)
RiskAss  
#7 Posted : 03 October 2017 09:24:44(UTC)
RiskAss

Originally Posted by: O'Donnell54548 Go to Quoted Post
Occupational Wellbeing Advisor. Safety Technical Administrator. Workforce Advisor/Administrator. Workplace Wellbeing Officer. Occupational Wellness Representative. Risk Advisor.

Originally Posted by: johnc Go to Quoted Post
Physical Risk Advisor
Originally Posted by: SHV Go to Quoted Post

Health and Safety Technical Assistant 

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Thank you very much for the suggestions folks. Since I will be handling risk assessments and advising on legal compliance, I have combined the two and so far have 'Risk & Compliance Advisor' as something to throw into the hat.

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

I agree with you and that is the case, however, I have been told that I will be required to meet and deal with external bodies too, probably during interim periods before seniors have to play their part and decide upon or sign off anything with financial or legal implications. For example, last week I had to meet and steward a claims investigator who paid a visit as part of an insurance accident investigation and then follow up with them. I get the impression that seniors here do not want to get involved unless they absolutely have to. It is very much a 'product over process' business with a tick-box culture that I am up against, and I can see myself posting on these boards quite a bit in future, asking for advice on how to change it.

Again, many thanks!

Waz  
#8 Posted : 04 October 2017 08:15:52(UTC)
Waz

Compliance Officer/Advisor

thanks 1 user thanked Waz for this useful post.
RiskAss on 04/10/2017(UTC)
RiskAss  
#9 Posted : 04 October 2017 08:40:04(UTC)
RiskAss

Originally Posted by: Waz Go to Quoted Post

Compliance Officer/Advisor

Thanks Waz. Looks like something with Compliance in the title is quite likely at this point.

jodieclark1510  
#10 Posted : 04 October 2017 13:04:58(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Technical/ Compliance Co-ordinator?

thanks 1 user thanked jodieclark1510 for this useful post.
RiskAss on 05/10/2017(UTC)
RiskAss  
#11 Posted : 05 October 2017 10:36:31(UTC)
RiskAss

Originally Posted by: jodieclark1510 Go to Quoted Post

Technical/ Compliance Co-ordinator?

Technical Services Compliance Coordinator sounds okay (as my department is Technical Services).

If I was being facetious and really long-winded it could be:

Technical Services Risk Management Advisor and Compliance Coordinator Plus Anything Else At The Whim Of The Manager No Matter How Unrelated.

thanks 2 users thanked RiskAss for this useful post.
lorna on 06/10/2017(UTC), UncleFester on 23/08/2018(UTC)
SNS  
#12 Posted : 05 October 2017 22:16:47(UTC)
SNS

Technical Services Risk Management Advisor and Compliance Coordinator Plus Anything Else At The Whim Of The Manager No Matter How Unrelated.

Its all related, check the last line of your job description, most have something along the lines of  'anything else that may [reasonably] be expected of them.'

thanks 2 users thanked SNS for this useful post.
chris42 on 06/10/2017(UTC), RiskAss on 16/10/2017(UTC)
RiskAss  
#13 Posted : 16 October 2017 11:51:01(UTC)
RiskAss

Originally Posted by: SNS Go to Quoted Post

Its all related, check the last line of your job description, most have something along the lines of  'anything else that may [reasonably] be expected of them.'

Ha. I do not have a job description!

RiskAss  
#14 Posted : 22 August 2018 14:02:29(UTC)
RiskAss

Update: 

Nearly a year later we have agreed upon 'Risk & Compliance Manager".

Yossarian  
#15 Posted : 22 August 2018 15:23:10(UTC)
Yossarian

Originally Posted by: RiskAss Go to Quoted Post

Update: 

Nearly a year later we have agreed upon 'Risk & Compliance Manager".

LOL! But do you have a job description yet?
thanks 1 user thanked Yossarian for this useful post.
SNS on 22/08/2018(UTC)