Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
matelot1965  
#1 Posted : 10 October 2017 20:19:19(UTC)
matelot1965

Guy's

Just after some advice on IPD and upgarding from Tech IOSH to Grad IOSH. I have just completed the NEBOSH diploma and would like to upgrade my membership to Grad IOSH. I believe that I have to complete IPD. What does IPD involve ? I ask as I am not in a dedicated health and safety role apart from teaching health and safety at a further education college. I am wondering will teaching in a college as well as undertaking other H+S responsibilities such as engineering departmental safety co-ordinator,member of college H+S committee allow me to complete IPD. or should I just keep my Tech IOSH status until I manage to secure a dedciated H+S role which will give me more meat to succesfully complete IPD. All thoughts gratefully appreciated

Cheers

Derek

SNS  
#2 Posted : 10 October 2017 20:28:24(UTC)
SNS

Hi Derek,

Check with membership for the detail, however I got Grad membership on the back of achieving the Diploma. Getting Tech shows that you have a background and the required knowledge.

IPD comes in for going from Grad to CMIOSH, it requires a portfolio of evidence much like an NVQ to a set of guided areas.

Best bet is phone the membership department and you will get the correct info.

matelot1965  
#3 Posted : 10 October 2017 20:35:55(UTC)
matelot1965

Hi SNS Very many thanks for the reply.
Bigmac1  
#4 Posted : 10 October 2017 22:25:38(UTC)
Bigmac1

IPD is for CMIOSH. Grad IOSH is purely based on your qualification

matelot1965  
#5 Posted : 10 October 2017 22:40:02(UTC)
matelot1965

Hi big Mac Thanks for the reply. It was really helpfully I went and read the grad iosh requirements again I did not interpret grad iosh status correctly. I read it as being compulsory to do IPD when you had the status but it just states you are invited to do it. So will apply for grad iosh anyway
Bigmac1  
#6 Posted : 11 October 2017 07:52:07(UTC)
Bigmac1

Theres a table on the IOSH website.

Tech is based on length of experience

Grad on qualifications, so you can in fact bypass tech if your good at exams

Then IPD when your Grad working towards CMIOSH

fairlieg  
#7 Posted : 11 October 2017 10:27:37(UTC)
fairlieg

Originally Posted by: matelot1965 Go to Quoted Post

Guy's

Just after some advice on IPD and upgarding from Tech IOSH to Grad IOSH. I have just completed the NEBOSH diploma and would like to upgrade my membership to Grad IOSH. I believe that I have to complete IPD. What does IPD involve ? I ask as I am not in a dedicated health and safety role apart from teaching health and safety at a further education college. I am wondering will teaching in a college as well as undertaking other H+S responsibilities such as engineering departmental safety co-ordinator,member of college H+S committee allow me to complete IPD. or should I just keep my Tech IOSH status until I manage to secure a dedciated H+S role which will give me more meat to succesfully complete IPD. All thoughts gratefully appreciated

Cheers

Derek

You're are on the right track with what you are saying.  If you register for GradIOSH you will have 2 years to complete you IPD afterwhich you will need to complete a Peer Review Interview to attain Chartered Status.  If you do not do IPD they you will have to re register and pay for GradIOSH every 2 years.  I think you could achieve chartered status with what you propose. 

matelot1965  
#8 Posted : 11 October 2017 21:38:59(UTC)
matelot1965

Hi fairlieg Thanks for the info. What you said was how I interpreted it. Think I will ring the membership department for clarification just so I know what IPD involves and whether it is doable in my current role Cheers Derek
redspelly  
#9 Posted : 14 October 2017 06:45:15(UTC)
redspelly

Just to clarify on the above, as soon as you complete the Diploma you are able to apply to upgrade to GradIOSH. Once GradIOSH has been granted this is the stage at which you can register for IPD and once you register, you have 2 years to complete the process - you will not lose your GradIOSH status after 2 years.
Bigmac1  
#10 Posted : 14 October 2017 08:11:41(UTC)
Bigmac1

Originally Posted by: redspelly Go to Quoted Post
Just to clarify on the above, as soon as you complete the Diploma you are able to apply to upgrade to GradIOSH. Once GradIOSH has been granted this is the stage at which you can register for IPD and once you register, you have 2 years to complete the process - you will not lose your GradIOSH status after 2 years.

Correct

matelot1965  
#11 Posted : 14 October 2017 12:02:43(UTC)
matelot1965

Hi All, Thanks for all your replies. So from your replies I believe I can apply for grad iosh status without having to do IPD ?
Bigmac1  
#12 Posted : 14 October 2017 16:10:48(UTC)
Bigmac1

Originally Posted by: matelot1965 Go to Quoted Post
Hi All, Thanks for all your replies. So from your replies I believe I can apply for grad iosh status without having to do IPD ?

Correct